Chapter 1

Chapter 1

                                                                 LUCIA

                “She wasn’t supposed to die!” I cried. “He wasn’t supposed to take her!!! He wasn’t supposed to touch him!!!!”

                Tyler reached for my shoulder. “We don’t have the right to stop him.”

                “Bullshit!” I shouted.

                “Lucia,” Tyler whispered his blue eyes searching into mine. “Don’t say that.”

                I shook my head, “This wasn’t supposed to happen! How could He let this happen?!”

                “Listen, Lucia, you know as well as everyone here that he doesn’t have that kind of power. He can take people only if they are meant to be with him or if they chose to be. But He can’t control free will.”

                “But this isn’t fair! Jesse’s grandmother wasn’t supposed to go with Lucifer.” I felt tears well in my eyes.

                Tyler shrugged, his wings lifting along with his shoulders. “Apparently she was.”

                “Says who?! Lucifer?”

                “She’s done some bad things…”

                “But I sent her back!”

                “Look, I don’t know what’s happening for sure, but if Lucifer can take her, then it was bounded to happen. Maybe not as quick as you hoped, but it’s meant to happen…”

                “This doesn’t make sense…”

                I cupped my face with my hands; the tears fell into my palms.

                “Oh don’t cry, Lucia.”

                “I have to go back.” I whimpered.

                Tyler pulled my hands away from my face. I gazed at the Angel. His blond hair was shimmering in the light, his white wings flowing with the slight breeze, and his ice blue eyes shining behind his lashes. “No, you can’t.”

                “I can! I’m not,” I flung my hands towards his wings. “One of you…I can go.”

                Tyler’s Adam’s apple bobbed up then down. “That’s not what I meant…”

                “Well nevertheless I’m going. I’ll talk to Him tonight. He’ll let me go.”

                “We can’t prevent him from getting to you,” He whispered. “Not like here.”

                I shook my head. “I don’t care. I have to go back.”

                Slowly Tyler dropped my hands. He then took a step back. “He’s in the courtyard.”

                ~*~

                God stood there amongst the little ones. Small hands tugged at his robe, as he laughed and hooted while they ran. The other Angel’s sat underneath the Oaks. One group played chess, some read, and here closest to where I stood, two were arguing. They bickered over who would get a spot in The Guardians. A training facility meant to prepare Angles for battling. So far they haven’t sent much out into the world. They based some of the Angels in Iraq, to protect as many as they can. But as for face on battlements…nothing has happened too recently. If you didn’t count the night they came down to Hell to help me.

                “Lucia!” God waved over. His voice boomed over the horizon, a smooth baritone of a call. It was calming.

                I approached the scampering children, smiling at some and rustling the hair of others.

                “How are you?” God asked.

                I smiled. I had only been here for roughly ten days. “Fine, thank you.”

                With a gleaming grin he picked one boy up, he had been tugging at his robe. “So what brings you to the courtyard?”

                “Um,” I began. “I have a question.”

                With a hollering laugh God tickled the boy, “You want my robe?” He teased him.

                The boy laughed.

                “And what’s your question my child?”

                I bit my lip. “It’s about…um…”

                “Well spit it out!” He chuckled.

                I took a deep breath. “…it’s about Lucifer.”

                God bit his lip, as he placed the little boy down. “Go run with the others Gregory,” Then he turned towards me. “What about him Lucia?”

                “Tyler,” I began. “Tyler said he took Jenny Dare.”

                A grim sense hovered over His face. “I know.”