Chapter 31

One Month later...

Rich POV

I leaned against my car with my arms folded, letting my left foot properly rest against the door of the car where I was. I was standing in the blistering heat but excitement told me not to get back into the AC my car had. I was standing here for a good purpose and once it happened I wouldn't regret letting the sun melt my skin. The wait had been about 20 minutes so far but it didn't bother me, it left me time to think about certain things that had been on my mind. Things that not only had took over my mind at this moment, but for over a month. Dealing with my own personal problems and being in school was a lot to deal with and often had me stressed out. I got so much going on in my social life that I forget I'm still a college student with work to be done. It was a lot on my plate lately but I had been rolling with the punches. Besides, life doesn't get easier, you only get better, at least that's what Thomas used to tell me.
After being wrapped up in my personal thoughts I seen the electric wire gates open along with the red lights attached to them on. That sound of the gate opening was something I had been waiting on. I watched him walk out with a sack bag that I was sure carried his personal belongings. A grin appeared on his face as he walked directly to my car, not expecting to see me.

Me: Damn Jay what you been eating in there, inmates?

Jay: Hell yeah for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

He laughed as he dapped me up and pulled me in for a quick grip on the back. I shared a laugh with him and took another overview of him. He didn't have his hair back like he usually did, this time it was in a curly Afro accompanied by more facial hair. He had put on a little bit more weight the last time I had seen him as well.

Me: Get in the car man, I don't want to look at this place ever again.

Jay: I heard that.

He responded in agreement. We quickly got in the car and I drove off leaving the facility behind. I turned on the music but kept it low enough to where I could keep conversation with him. He was looking out the window at all the places we passed by. I could tell seeing how things had changed for him made him uncomfortbale and I knew it would be. But he didn't know about the surprise I had in store for him like I promised. The music changed and he nodded his head to the beat as we drove in silence for a minute.

Jay: Man I wasn't even expecting to see you when I walked out. It feel good to know I got someone looking out for me. I respect that Rich, on some real shit.

Me: I told you I got you. I'm glad you out man, it may not feel like it but this is a second chance for you.

Jay: Yeah you right, I'm gone make the best of it too. Believe that.

He said running his hands through his hair and looking out the window still.

Jay: So what's been going on? I see you driving nice. How everything been going since you got out?

Me: It's a lot better than sitting in that cell, I'll say that. I got a lot of stuff to catch you up on but I actually wanted to show you something first. I think you might want to see this.

Jay looked over at me with a questionable face but only nodded his head. Jay had been a good friend to me and was always looking out for me while I was doing that little time. Sometimes people can come into your life when you've only known them a short period of time and prove they're more loyal than people that's been in your life since day one. I turned into an apartment complex not far from campus. It was real nice apartments for the area and it was nothing but older people and college kids with money who lived on this side. Jay looked around then back at me, wondering what I was doing.