Chapter 9

Closer Than You Realize

Chapter 9

    Morning classes that day were a breeze. I had gym, creative writing, then math- all classes that barely required any effort.

     When lunch rolled around, Laurie and I decided to go off campus and get something to eat.

     "You seem awfully chipper today." Laurie when we sat down, putting our food on the table. "Did something happen between you and Tyson?!"

     "Pft. That's funny." I rolled my eyes. "Quite the opposite actually. He's not in school today! Plus, I had all easy classes this morning and I get to leave school early."

     "Lucky. Carter and I have AP bio last." She scowled.

     "Oof, that sucks."

     I felt like every school had a class that required far too much dedication, the average grade in the class was a C, and it ultimately made people want to kill themselves- that class at our school was AP bio.

     I wasn't sure why Laurie was putting the stress on herself and taking the class to begin with. Carter wanted to be a doctor, so I understood why he'd taken AP chemistry the year before and AP bio this year, but I was confused as to why Laurie, who wanted to go to law school, was taking the class.

     "Eh, it's only one year, I can deal with it." She shrugged and took a bite of her sandwich.

     I envied that about her. Laurie took on everything that was thrown at her and planned out how she'd overcome the obstacle, and nine times out of ten, she came out of the situation successful.

     I, on the other hand, tended to run away from my problems and made excuses as to why it was the right thing to do.

     "Do you have homework tonight other than math and Jackson's stupid project?" She asked randomly.

     "No, why?" I replied with much skepticism.

     "Can we go to the mall after practice? I need a new outfit for the Halloween pep rally. Apparently cheerleaders aren't allowed to wear their uniforms like for the homecoming rally."

     "I guess so, although you know I hate the mall." I told her as I scrunched up my nose.

      "I know, but you could use a new outfit too." She poked her tongue out at me and I gasped in response.

     "Fine, but you're paying. I don't see why it's necessary."

     "Deal." She said with a triumphant grin and stuck her hand out for me to shake. "We should probably be getting back to school now."

     I groaned as I pushed out my chair and grabbed my tray to empty it in the trash.

     The ride back to school was silent and we were both were dreading having to go back to actual classes.

     "Be ready by six!" My cousin called after me as I turned to go to the English wing.

    I laughed at her enthusiasm, but was still dreading stepping foot in the mall.

     When I made it to English which was across the school from where I entered, I was relieved to see that both seats next to Adam were empty and he was waiting for with a smile on his face.

     "Heyo!" I said enthusiastically with a childish grin.

     "Hey." He laughed. "Look, do you want to-" He began asking before he was cut off by Jackson starting class.