Chapter 7

Closer Than You Realize

Chapter 7

      After school that night, I worked for the first time in since school started. My boss, an old family friend, understood that since I was taking difficult classes that year, I needed time to settle into the school year, and I couldn't have been more appreciative, despite the fact that I had used some of my time unwisely, what with going to the movies with Adam among other things.

      But technically, I hadn't been completely off work.

      Hayden and I worked for a small record store that sold vinyl's, CDs, posters, sheet music books, some band merch, small collectable items, and even musical instruments. In addition to working at the store, Hayden and I published an electronic magazine with pictures and articles about concerts that we attended, courtesy of the store, and information and news about other bands, also known as our "band gossip". It was a very broad paper and it was popular all over the world.

      Cole was talking about it the night of Second Miracle's concert and how the whole band read it.

  The store was empty as I was restocking and reordering CDs on a shelf and Hayden was standing by the register, organizing merchandise while I ranted to him.

     "I can't even believe he said that to me. And if it was really necessary to say it, he could have said it a lot nicer." I scowled.

     "He could've, I agree." Hayden said. He hadn't said much about Tyson after I ranted the first time. What was he supposed to say anyway? I knew he didn't like the guy, and at that particular moment, I didn't really either.

     "I don't even know why I'm so upset." I muttered.

      "I do." He looked up from what he was doing.

      "Enlighten me, please." I replied as I looked up too.

      "You thought you saw something in him and you wanted to know more. Simple as that, Lyddie."

      I sighed in response. I wished I didn't care. It would make my life so much easier if I didn't care.

      The bell above the door rang and Hayden and I both turned our gazes to greet whoever was coming in. It was weird to have a customer come in so close to closing time.

      I almost choked on my spit when I saw who had just walked through the door.

     Tyson Flynn. Just my freaking luck.

     "What are you doing here?" I snapped.

     "What do you think I'm doing here?" He replied in the same sarcastic tone.

     "I wouldn't have asked if I already knew, would I?"

     "I'm here to buy my younger sister a CD. She's eight. Since when do you work here?"

     "Since we turned fourteen." I glared, even though I knew it wouldn't help me get closer to Tyson any faster. "What are you looking for? I can get it for you so you can get out of here."

     "That's rude, Dia. Trying to get rid of me so fast now, are you?"

     I could tell I visibly shuddered the moment the name Dia left his lips, but I tried not to let it show how much it bothered me. "There's no denying it. After all, you don't want to spend time with me anyway, so you shouldn't want to be in here too long."

     "I didn't say that." He denied.

     "What? That you don't want to hang out? Not in those exact words, but you implied it." I replied, my face not breaking from the scowl.