Chapter 6

Closer Than You Realize

Chapter 6

     "So, how was Blondie today?" Laurie asked with a mischievous smile as I descended the stairs into the basement of Hayden's house.

     "He was fine actually. We got along pretty well and he's actually pretty nice." I said simply as I opened my laptop that I had Laurie bring over for me.

     "You guys actually talked?" Carter asked with his eyebrows raised. "That guy is actually capable of speaking with something other than sarcasm in his voice? And you held a conversation?"

     "Yeah." I chuckled. "Is it that hard to believe?"

     "Sort of." Hayden sided with the others.

     "By nice and being able to hold a conversation, do you mean he wasn't as sarcastic as normal and he answered the question you actually asked or do you mean he was actually interactive and made conversation with you and didn't leave it all up to you?" Adam asked.

     "The second one." I told him, looking up from my computer screen.

     "Wow." My four friends said at the same time.

     "I think we've entered an alternate universe." Carter whispered.

     "I heard that." I stuck my tongue out. "Just start the movie."

      "Fine." Carter puffed, acting like he was angry, but I knew he wasn't.

     Laurie had brought some chick flick she'd wanted to see and conned all of us into watching it with her on our free Saturday night.

     The movie was totally stereotypical; typical love triangle where the girl is stuck between the good guy and the school's bad boy. I guess it wasn't bad, who doesn't love a good cliché? It was just predictable.

     For the rest of the night, while I finished my essay, the others talked about our Halloween plans. Hayden and I convinced Adam, Laurie, and Carter to go to a costume party concert in Boston on Halloween night but none of us had found the perfect costumes.

     Laurie suggested doctors and nurses, but how much more stereotypical can you get than that? I suggested that we all dress as superheroes, knowing that Adam, Hayden and Carter all loved DC Comics, but Laurie declined on that one.

     After I'd finished my essay and everyone engaged in some serious Google searches, we decided to all dress as Mario characters.

     Laurie immediately started planning who everyone could be and started to figure out what everyone could wear to fit that character.

     I knew none of us really wanted to go shopping for Halloween, so if Laurie wanted to do to all the work, then we were going to let her.

     As I watched my cousin sketch out our outfits and I listened to the guys' conversation, my thoughts continuously drifted to Tyson and how my perspective of him had changed so much from the beginning of the day to the end.

*~*~*

     On Monday morning, I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders and I was actually looking forward to seeing Tyson in school.

     Since Saturday, Tyson had consumed all of my thoughts. After realizing that he wasn't all bad, I was so interested in learning more about him and being his friend. And not only that, but I was sure that we could be friends after we got over our little bump in the road and gotten past each other's outer shell.