chapter one

[aria tate]

gently, the wind cast my flyaways back against my face, staying away from my field of vision. the city looked empty, yet alive. it was strange really, it never seemed so... quiet. although the lights of the financial district were shining brightly, there was a severe lack of noise, and i didn't really understand what made this city come to near silence.

"hey baby," shawn wraps his arms around my waist, kissing my cheek over and over again, making me smile softly to myself, looking down at his hands that are around me. "what are you doing?"

"i was standing out here just to see what was happening, but it's so quiet today," i tell him, letting a sigh tumble from my lips. "it's weird. it's never this quiet at night."

"don't worry about it," shawn chuckles softly, rubbing his hands on my sides. "come on, dinners ready." he nibbles slightly on the side of my neck, making me moan softly, before tilting my neck up.

"what did you make?"

"grilled chicken and veg," he mumbles back against the warm skin of my neck. "come on, we're having a date."

"shawn i'm literally wearing sweats-"

"shh, you look beautiful, come on," he lets go of my waist, holding onto my hands, and pulling me back into the condo, a cheeky smile on his lips. we enter the dining room, and i see the corner set up with candles and plates, john mayer softly running through the room, and a skinny vase with a single rose in the middle of the table. next to the dark oak, shawn has set out a tin wheeled tray, which is carrying the food for us to eat, along with two glasses of red wine placed neatly on the table. my heart swells, and i look up at shawn in awe.

"you like it?" shawn asks gently, placing his hand on my waist.

"i love it," i whisper back, leaning up to give shawn a kiss. he smiles softly against my lips, before pulling me closer and holding me tightly. "who helped you?"

"no one, honest," he chuckles, pulling away and putting his hands up in surrender. "sit down," he pulls the chair out nearest to me, and lets me sit down. i blush in response, taking a seat on the wooden chair, letting shawn kiss my forehead lightly.

"so, we have grilled chicken with garlic, and vegetables, i know it's boring but that's all i know how to make that's nutritional and-"

"shut up," i laugh, reaching for his hand over the table, and squeezing it gently. "don't worry, i'll teach you how to make stuff."

"okay good, because i'll need to learn properly when you go to la," he chuckles nervously, running his other hand through his hair.

"i'll only be gone for a week," i tell him gently, squeezing his hand. "and plus, it's andrew wanting me to go around and get your press done. don't worry about it."

"i know, it's just it's a week without you, and recently i know things haven't been good, but we haven't spent a moment away from each other, and i don't know i just-" he cuts himself off with a sigh. "i'm worried, yeah? i know with everything that happened with the engagement, we won't exactly be on the best terms, but everything happens for a reason."

"yeah," i agree, feeling a little bit awkward. "we haven't spoken about the engagement at all, shawn. do you want to?"

"of course i do, but i don't know if we're ready to even talk about it," he says lightly, squeezing my hand, before letting go and serving up two dishes. i sigh softly, leaning over the table and cupping his soft cheeks in my hands.