25. Claim to the Iron Throne

"I don't deserve this position anymore, to be their king." Jon said while walking around the room with his mind clearly elsewhere in search of a solution to this situation that caught us all off guard.

"You are still who they chose to be their king, this does not change that. They accepted you, even though you were a bastard... Or you thought you were." I try to talk some positivity in the situation but before he spoke, I knew what he was going to say.

"Ned Stark's bastard son, not the son of Rhaegar Targaryen!" He sounded even more defeated and I did not know what I could say to make things better.

The door opens and I see Sansa carrying a young man in a wheelchair, Arya walking beside them. Samwell gives them all the space to come in, stepping away from the door. The boy is the only one looking calm in the entire room as if this does not concern him at all, that this is not his family as well.

"Even if they don't accept me, I'm not the only option they have. And you are all very good options for leaders, that I'm certain." Jon says looking towards the young people now in the room and that he considered his siblings all his life.

"I will help you talk to them. They respect me as well and they will listen." Sansa guarantees, forcing a smile towards Jon.

"Thank you." He says with a genuine half smile on his face before looking towards me. "I'll have to do this inevitably so it's better to do it now and tell them straight away."

"I'll go with you." I quickly say grabbing his large hand with both of mine with no hesitation but then remembering how his siblings don't know yet about us, I quickly take a step back once again.

"You don't have to hide." The boy says with an extremely calm, slow and low voice making me look towards him. His eyes are on me but his mind seems to be elsewhere. "But Jon needs to go alone."

"Yes, it's probably to focus on this news first and then the rest." Sansa supports her brother and so I end up agree silently.

First, the Starks went off with Jon, then Sam and so I was left alone in this strange room somewhere in the Castle of Winterfell.

Like all the castle seems to be, its walls are purely stone, making the room seem darker and heavier but somehow I feel the warmth coming from them, unlike in Dragonstone. There, everything seemed colder, even though it's much colder here, in the North.

When I am finally considering leaving the room, its door opens to reveal Daenerys on the other side.

"Jon is not here, he's talking with the Northern Lords." I quickly say and yet she does not go away. Instead, the closes the door behind her and takes a few, short and hesitant steps towards me with a strange look oh her face.

"I know, I came here to talk to you... And our alliance." Even her voice sounds hesitant. I have never seen her like that, ever.

"Yes, it has seen better days. Now you can barely talk to me or even look towards me." I say straight away, not afraid of the repercussions of my words because I finally understand that I do not depend on her anymore.

For a while, I did try to make things work between us, especially in the beginning because I did not know how to act towards people anymore and also I was afraid. Afraid of doing all that journey from the island where I grew up, to be all alone once again.

Now I do not fear such a thing because I know that I am not alone anymore, I have Jon by my side. Also, even if I did not have Jon by my side, I know now that I am strong enough to be on my own.

"All because we fell in love with the same man." I finish making her look towards me surprised.

"I didn't love Jon Snow."

"This is exactly what I am talking about. On top of all of what I have just said, you can't even tell me the truth. What kind of an alliance is this?"

She stands silent for a while looking towards me, even though her mind seems to be elsewhere and then she finally sits in one of the wooden chairs while speaking.

"I shouldn't have let that interfere with what we have, our friendship."

"Friendship? Is that what we have?"

Once again she stops for a while, thinking carefully about what words to use next and so I finally understand why she is suddenly so worried about all of this.

"You are worried that the Northern Lords won't follow Jon anymore and so our alliance is one of the few that you have left."

She looks at me and even while trying her best to hide the truth, I know that what I just said is exactly right.

"Our alliance was always important to me. Always." She assures me and I believe in her words, she is telling the truth about that part. That, of course, doesn't mean that we are friends or that we will ever be such a thing.

We may look alike to strangers with our pale skin, silver-grey long hair and violet eyes but we could not be more different on the inside.

"I don't doubt that. And I still believe in our cause so I will not stop fighting for it because of this stupid argument between ourselves."

She stood there, quiet, frozen in place, eyes wandering around the room while her mind was clearly elsewhere once again. Maybe she's thinking about what was going on between Jon and the other Northern Lords or maybe she is just assimilating what I have just said.

"If it brings you any comfort, even if they do not accept Jon after this as their King, his family will not just stand by. They believe in this threat and they will fight, all of them. They don't have a choice."

Daenerys seemed slightly relieved but not completely which made me remember what made her leave in the first place earlier. Jon is the son of Rhaegar Targaryen, Daenerys older brother, and a legitimate one. This changes everything for her and her claim for the Iron Throne, a claim that has been so important for her, for so many years.

"You are also worried about the Iron Throne situation, and your claim to it."

"I know this may sound foolish to you but I have fought all these years, gathered armies and finally came to Westeros because of it. Because I believed that the Iron Throne was mine to take and now..." As she talks her eyes continue to wander around the silent room.

"Priorities also changed, yours included." She looked towards me again. "We don't even know if we will indeed survive all of this, the Army of the Dead. After that, you may think about those matters and discuss them with Jon, if you are both alive to still discuss such a thing or the Throne is even standing still."

Daenerys nods silently and the room is filled with silence once again with both our minds anywhere but in that small room in Winterfell.