◽ Sixteen

▬

"Sorry, that was blunt!" Tonks said quickly after Roma spat out her chocolate frog, "But I would like to know..." She glanced down at the sleeping Antonia, praying for her to awaken and help Tonks find a way out of this. Sadly, Antonia merely mumbled in her sleep, rolling over rather than come to Tonks' rescue, "I mean ... which sex ... act led to the pregnancy ... if you know which guys it was ... ha."

"Excuse me but what do you mean by that?!"

"I just ..." She gripped the side of the table tightly, her hair slowly transitioning into a pale, embarrassed yellow, "I didn't want to assume you'd never had sex before this but now it feels like this just made it worse..."

"It did."

"Aw, Merlin's balls."

"TONKS!"

"What? You can choose what you don't say but you can't choose what I don't say," She sighed, "Probably best if I stop talking now."

They fell into silence, the only sound being Roma's slow munching of her chocolate frogs and the soft snores from a blissfully oblivious Antonia. A few times, Tonks opened her mouth, wondering whether she should try and break the tension with a clever pun but chose not to. She was almost about to get up and leave, feigning tiredness but Roma cut in.

"He was a muggle ... he is a muggle," She corrected herself softly, before looking up, "Abel's father is a muggle. He's going to university at a place for Kings ... or maybe it was called, Kings, that makes far more sense. I don't know."

Realising this was a big deal, Tonks nodded, "Rings a bell actually. He sounds like quite a catch."

"I've hardly told you anything yet," Roma laughed, "There's no way you could know that but yes, he was," Her wide eyes gained a faraway quality to them, "He used to sing to me a bit. He didn't have a very good voice, it wasn't terrible just ... not good. I liked it though."

"Like Antonia and her renditions of 'Build me up Buttercup'?"

Roma shook her head, "No. I don't really like those, I'll be honest. She sings far too much and they're all about ten years old, seventies disco and things. His songs were sort of softer, do you know the Smiths?" Tonks shook her head, "Well, neither did I, but he knew them very well. A lot of his shirts were the Smiths too."

"Sing something of them. Stella's cool and plays me some of her records sometimes."

A faint blush crossed Roma's cheeks, shaking her head, "I don't sing."