Responsible Older Sibling

You're on the computer. You had just finished re-watching an episode of one of your favorite shows. The episode was filled with love and such cute things that it made you tear up. You are ready to watch the next episode, it's your favorite one, even better than the one you had just finished. You glance at the time at the bottom of your screen. It's almost nine. Nine o'clock at night.

An hour ago, maybe an hour and a half, maybe even two hours ago, you don't know you weren't paying attention to time, your ten-year-old sister told you she was going on a bike ride with her friends. You look out the window with a calm expression even though you wanted to panic. The sun had just set. It was now dark.

You turn your attention back to the computer screen and stare. What do you do? You are completely alone in your house. About two hours ago your parents left in Mom's still kinda new car to go out to eat. They were only a few miles away. You know where they are, although it would be dangerous, you could walk there.

Should you call Dad? Tell him what is going on? No, that would make him worry...think there was a problem, you already called once before to ask if it was okay if your sister could go on a bike ride. But the thing was...there was a problem.

Should you wait it out? Wait for your sister to come home completely fine, ready to eat the popcorn you left her? (Although it was a bit less than half...)

That idea wouldn't be right. It's still almost nine and what if your parents come home before her? They would yell at you. Be disappointed you weren't looking after your sister. You are the responsible older sibling. Well? Aren't you the responsible older sibling?

You get up. You check your phone. Twelve percent. Dang it. You walk into your room and plug your phone in. You put on your black school sweatshirt. You know it isn't that safe. Black clothes at night? But it wasn't that cold to zip it up, so your white shirt was noticeable. People driving could see you. What shoes though? Boots? No. Basketball (a sport you barely like) shoes? Nah. You lace up your black low-top converse instead. You unplug your phone, thirteen percent, and leave the room.

You are standing right in front of the mud room. The door to leave is in there. The alarm panel is in there. You sigh and walk in and turn on the alarm before shutting the side (but basically front) door.

You can hear your sister and her friends playing. They are shrieking in delight. You know where they are. The same house as always. Right down the road. You start to head in that direction.

As you cross the street you see two kids around your age riding down the hill on Razor scooters. Are they the new neighbours? The ones you were too anxious to talk to, their younger brother is probably with your sister.

You are actually surprised the younger kids are at that house. All the lights are usually off by eight there. You and your family always make jokes about it. You smirk at the thought.

Headlights of a car appear. The brightness makes the small scratch and tiny smudges noticeable on your glasses. Is it your parents? As the car passes by you realize it is. It's Mom's white Land Rover, looking a dark grey in the night. You quickly turn around chase after the car, waving it down.

The car slows to a stop. Dad rolls down the passenger window. You tell him why you're out, that your sister has yet to return, and that the alarm is on. He nods in understanding.

"Okay." he says.

You bolt away from the car with Mom shouting, "WAIT WHERE ARE YOU GOING?" from the driver's seat. You tell her you're getting your sister like it was obvious. Well? Wasn't it?

You arrive at the house. You can see inside from the screen door. You knock. You can hear your sister and her friends shouting in excitement. Your sister is yelling the lines of a game that is the far back of your memory. You smile. But no one answers the door. You knock again several times.