Beatrice Gere

Honestly, the weather here is three months of fall, six months of winter, one day of spring, a week of summer, spring for another three weeks, then summer again.  It was that one week of summer, almost ninety degrees, and my friends and I  were all dying of the heat.

    "What if we went to the sewer pipe?"  I suggested on the bus ride home from school..  My friend Nate nodded, agreeing to the idea before asking our friends Jason and Percy if they wanted to join.

    An hour later we were all sitting in the sewer pipe.  The sewer pipe was just a pipe under the street that would connect to a tiny stream that was dried up, it wouldn't be full of waste, just water from past storms.  It was always cooler down there due to what we assumed was the moisture, and it was actually quite fun.

    "I don't want to do anything, just sit here on our phones."  Nate said.

    "But what if we went somewhere cool?"  Jason said, raising his eyebrows.

    "Where's that?"  I asked.

    "A while ago, my sister took me to see this cool tree house, it's in a walking distance."  Jason explained.

    "How long ago was it?"  Percy asked, but Jason didn't answer, he was already crawling out of the pipe.

    "But I didn't want to leave."  Nate whined.

    The three of looked at each other before glancing over at Jason, who was already out of the pipe, we all shrugged which meant we would follow him.  One by one we all crawled out before finally making it out into the heat.

"I hate this."  I mumbled.

"Shut up Cathrine, it'll be fun."  Jason said.

We followed him down the dried up creek, which was now just dangerously loose rocks.  We all slid a few times, but nobody was hurt.

"Why couldn't we just stay?"  Nate muttered.

Percy threw a rock at him.  "Quit whining."  he said.

"Yeah, we're almost there."  Jason huffed.

I rolled my eyes, knowing this would take a while.  However, Jason stopped and turned to us grinning.

"Right behind these trees."  he told us.  We crept through the trees, stepping on the throne bushes, then stepped out onto an empty yard.

"Jason"  I groaned, "How many years ago was this?"

"I was six."  Jason grumbled.

"Jason!"  the rest of us shouted.

Something shining caught my eye on the other side of the lawn.  "There's something over there."  I stated, pointing to where it was.

We carefully walked over, glancing at the old house making sure no one was watching us through the windows.  The closer we got, the less shinier the thing became.

It was a headstone.  A headstone for two people.

"Oh my god."  I whispered. 

The four of us met each other's eyes.  We nervously looked in the direction of the house.  "Do you think they know?"  Percy questioned.

"I don't know!"  Jason said.

I looked back down at the headstone.  Robert Gere 1905-1998, Beatrice Gere 1906-, it read. 

"Guys."  I hissed.  "Beatrice isn't dead."

My friends looked back at the headstone.  "Crap!  Do you think she still lives here?"  Jason yelled.  We shushed him, glancing towards the house.