Six Hours

Scarlett's POV

I woke up the next morning in Jeremiah's arms and all the memories came flooding back to me.

Last night was a moment of weakness. You can't show how you truly feel! 'You're stronger than this so stop being pathetic!' my experiment side of me yelled.

I slowly lifted the black sheets off of my body, and I'm literally naked. Great. I grabbed my robe hanging next to the bed and got up, making sure not to wake him, but right when I got to the door his voice startled me.

"Morning," he stated calmly, but I could sense the confusion in his voice. Probably trying to figure out why I was trying to sneak out. "Why so quiet?" he asked as he got out of bed and stalked over to me.

"Last night... Was a mistake," I said without turning around to face him.

He shoved me against the wall soon after those words left my mouth, a moan leaving my lips. He focused on my eyes before scoffing.

"You're lying"

"Whatever helps you sleep at night, Jer," I sassed and tried to step away when he pushed me against the wall with more force.

"Stop denying your feelings for me! All I want to do is care for you and have you by my side and you keep messing with my head! I told you I love you and this is how you treat me?!" he kept getting angrier and angrier so I did the one thing I knew that would calm him down.

I kissed him.

After a few moments I pulled away and sighed before looking into his eyes.

"I don't know what's going on with my mind right now, Jer. I don't want to hurt you in the process of figuring it out. It's just complicated right now. Just give me some time," I assured him and he hesitated before nodding in agreement. I could still tell he was hurt that I didn't say I loved him back.

I know I do, but I'm scared. Everyone I love dies. If he does I'll go insane, if I haven't already.

------------

"Harvey," I sighed in relief as I ran up the stairs and jumped into his arms as he stood inside the precinct. Jeremiah oddly let me go out on my own this morning, and I'm not stupid I know he has something planned I just don't know what.

"I'm glad you're okay, Scar." He muttered before pulling away.

"Listen, Jeremiah let me go but he's obviously planning something and-"

"Sir, there's something you need to see," a cop said before we gave each other a knowing look and ran outside.

"God-dammit," I sighed in annoyance as Jeremiah stood there in his new mob-boss like outfit with his newly improved army behind him.

"What the hell?!" Harvey yelled. I popped my hip out and crossed my arms, just waiting for his stupid performance to finish up. I know he's gonna take me back into capture any moment now, and I should've been more cautious.

"You might not recognize some of Jerome's followers as I've given them something of a makeover, but I assure you they are as loyal to me as they were Jerome. More so, because I accomplished something my brother never could. Killing James Gordon," he stated and I tried to march down the steps to slap him but Harvey held me back. I growled as I glared in J's direction.

Gotta love the unhealthy love-hate relationship we have.

"Jeremiah! Jeremiah!" They chanted and I rolled my eyes. Such a cliche.

"You're a liar!" Harvey yelled pulling out his gun.

"Not so fast," Jeremiah warned as he lifted his hand out of his pocket. "I have bombs planted all around the city just like the one that killed Jim Gordon. All you need to know is that If I hit this detonator, Gotham's blown back to the Stone Age"

"And if I pull this trigger your brains are splattered through the back of your skull. Stop this and let Scarlett go, I know you're gonna take her back and imprison her so don't even think about it."

"Dead mans switch. You're familiar. Just another little something I took from my brother, like Scarlett, except mines a bit more advanced. You shoot me, my thumb loosens, and then boom. Boom. Boom" He explained in a bored tone as he walked straight in front of Harvey's gun. "Then your precious Scarlett will take over"

"Scar! Scar!" His followers yelled.

"Oh, shut up!" I yelled at them before glaring at Jeremiah.

"You're more insane then your brother"

"Don't compare me to that short sighted psychopath. He just wanted to destroy things. Me? I'm a builder. I'm going to create a new Gotham in our image, but every artist needs a blank canvas, so all of this has to go. I detonate the explosives in six hours and I want this city empty when I do."

"You need us to evacuate the city in six hours? That's impossible!"

"Then everyone who dies screaming and who watches their loved ones crushed before them will have you to thank," he stated. "Look, nobody has to die. Well, except these people. I know seeing is believing and I do want you to believe me, so..."

Suddenly, the clock tower exploded and screams were heard all around us.

"Oh my god!"

"Six hours, detective," Jeremiah repeated before eyeing me expectantly. I raised an eyebrow at him as if to say 'try me.' "Listen, my love, you can either come the easy way or the hard way. I know I've run out of beloved family to kill but you have many loved friends I could take off the table for you if thats what you'd like," he shrugged before smirking at me. I looked at Harvey, and he shook his head at me and told me not to be stupid, but I can't let anyone else I love die because of me.

I sighed and pulled away from Harvey and walked down the steps to stand by Jeremiah. He grabbed me before turning us around with his followers all around him as we began our exit. "The clock is ticking."

"You're insane," I spit at him. His hold on me became tighter and he stopped us for a moment and looked at me.

"No... We're insane," he smiled at me. "It's time you realize that or I will have to give you a little push"

My heart stopped.

"You wouldn't," I challenged narrowing my eyes at him. He smiled and leaned in close, our lips brushed against each other.

"Try me"

Would Jeremiah really force the insanity gas on me?