"Ma let it go. Please." I went back up the stairs and plopped on my bed. I was just annoyed when I said what I did. I didn't even think she would take it like that. Maybe Kaiden would convince her not to be angry with me.

kaiden 👽
oh hn. she already told me what u said. me nd u not even cool nm

I figured I would simply give her space and wait for her to cool down. Ada was explosive, and someone who needed to be left alone when they were angry.

"Sai, come down," I was summoned downstairs by my father. I was definitely a Daddy's girl when I was younger and I still am. Everywhere he would go, I'd be there. He was one of the only people who could get through to me, probably because we were so much alike.

"You need to help your brother with his homework, but before that come and sit with me." He was in the living room with a plate of food in his hands. My brother, David, sat at the table with some papers out.

"They really giving y'all work in the summer, huh?" He nodded and wrote out an equation. "Texas really ain't shi--" I pushed his shoulder before he could finish. I brought a bottle of water out of the fridge and went to sit with my father.

He put his plate down and waved at me. I waved back, "Yes?" Dad asked how school was and all of that, and I let him know it was going well. Soon, A and I would be able to start our business.

I know at first neither of our parents were supportive of the idea. Being Nigerian meant getting a high paying job and years and years of education. Since we wouldn't know if it would be successful or not, my parents had a hard time accepting it. Once they realized that I couldn't be swayed and nothing could change my mind, they knew all they could do was support me.

"Your mother tells me that you have a boyfriend." He clasped his arms together and turned to me. I chuckled a bit and rolled my eyes.

"I was going to tell you, Daddy. But yes, I do." I pulled out my phone and showed him one of the pictures we had taken at the studio. David got up from the table and started peeking too. "Finally someone good!"

I mean mugged him and he went to sit back down. My dad had a pretty uneasy look on his face. I already knew what his next question was going to be. "Your mom told me not to ask. But is he Nigerian?" I sighed. My entire family was hellbent on keeping the culture alive, like I couldn't do that without marrying someone like me. I didn't think it mattered but clearly it did to him.

"No, but--"

"Sai, you don't know about these akata people. They can be crazy." I crossed my arms. People in my family were always saying ignorant bullshit like this about Americans. They took their belief in the harmful stereotypes too far.

"Elijah definitely isn't like that. He's actually done better than everyone you've tried to set me up with. And don't call them akatas." I said matter-of-factly. My family was one of the big socialites in the area, so anyone with a son old enough has probably already spoken with my dad. He knew a lot of people, and all throughout my life he's been trying to find someone for me to marry.

"We've been together for months and it's been great, Daddy. Can't you be happy for me?" I sighed. I could honestly see a future with Elijah. He always made me extremely happy, and even when we did fight we could always resolve our issues, talk through them.

"I don't know. I need to meet him first." I didn't know when Elijah would meet my parents but clearly not this summer. Maybe when I was done with school he could come down here or something. In fact, he and Kaiden would have to come down here. I'm hopping him and Ada could keep on going like they are.

"Okay just look," I went on snapchat and showed him a whole bunch of videos we've taken together. There's one from our first date at that cooking place, there's another that we took at that lil surprise party, and most of the other ones are just us hanging out. Going through all of these memories made me miss my boyfriend wayyy more. I decided I would facetime him later.

"Okay, well there's something else. I've invited your uncle's family for dinner tonight and his son has expressed interest in you." I smacked. If Dad knew I was in a relationship then why would he even do this? I walked away and went up to my room.

"So you will walk away from me while I am still talking to you?" Honestly, I was kind of irritated right now and needed to leave before I said something out of line.

"Sai, I still need help," David asked at the table. "Later, okay?"

Some hours later I called Elijah. He was in bed with his durag on, the camera was in a weird angle. "Hey, ma. How you doing?" I told him about my little argument with Ada, the party last night, and overall how my week has been going.

"Yeah I heard about that shit. Me and you not even cool no more," he chuckled. "No but seriously. You saying that shit probably made her reminisce that fast life, so just give her enough space and y'all will be straight in no time." I nodded. He always knew how to give the best advice. I heard a feminine voice in the background and he looked away from the camera.

"Is that my Tia?! Put her on the phone!!" He handed it to her and her face appeared in my screen. She held the phone up and showed her full outfit: a tight black corset top, jeans, and strappy heels.

"Cuteeee sis. Who you getting dolled up for?"

Tia said, "I got a date bitchhhh," and stuck out her tongue. I boosted her some more until she had to go. "Love you, have fun. And text me later," I yelled one last time. Eli got the phone back.

"Damn you giving my cousin more love than me." I rolled my eyes.

"Anyways. How's being at home?" he shrugged. "I missed my Momma but now she making me do too much around the house. Other than that it's cool." I've talked on the phone with Ms. Celia a couple of times and I loved her personality. I can't wait to meet her in real life though. I could tell she was hard on her son but only because she wanted the best for him.

"I'm sure being an Uber driver is keeping you busy." He smiled, showcasing his teeth. That smile...

"Just know I'm counting down the days until I see you again." I laughed, then mentioned the talk I had with my dad earlier. "I can't let someone I don't even know steal my girl. Sai you better not fall for that nigga." Eli cut his eyes at me. I scoffed. "Man whatever. I gotta start getting ready." I told him I loved him and said goodnight.

I decided on wearing a pair of dark jeans that were ripped at the knees and an off the shoulder bright yellow top. I put in some simple hoops and the sterling silver bracelet Elijah gave me a couple months ago. I didn't want to look to dolled up so I only did my brows and added gloss to my lips.

I walked downstairs and met my mother in the kitchen. "Your dad told me about the talk you all had. He just wants the best for you, okay? Don't be angry with him." I opened the pots she had cooking on the stove. She had made my favorite soup and was getting ready to make the fufu. "Biko, bring the pounded yam." I grabbed the packet and spread it around in the boiling pot of water. After some serious mixing it turned out well.

"They're here," David said, peeking out the window. I sighed. Luxury cars pulled up to the driveway, telling me more than one family was here. "Just how many people did Daddy invite?" Ma stirred some stew in one of her pots. "Do I even know?"

I get uneasy when there are a whole bunch of people in my house because I can't just hide in my room. I have to be a good host. There were other kids for David to play with but I had to talk and have a dinner with the new suitor.

Kofi stood at least five inches taller than me. He was of a light caramel complexion, with thick lips and a slightly wide nose. Kofi was attractive but I already had someone. It was very awkward while we ate, so I decided to ask him some things about himself. He's a doctor at a practice near Highland Park, which is not very surprising. He presented himself well and was polished. He even smelled like money.

My father came over to grab some expensive booze from where we were sitting and decided to check up on me. "How is everything going?" We both replied with "Well." Kofi added something else. "Your daughter is very beautiful for a darskinned girl," he said as he smiled. I dropped my fork, and the smile fell off my father's face.

I could have seen us being friends, but not any more.