Chapter Forty Eight

Start from the beginning

"I'm so sorry Zara, I promise to buy you one okay?" She nodded.

Refocusing on the phone, I tapped on the contact icon and watched as different names popped up, and I began to scroll through. My fingers stopped at Emy.

I didn't need to be told it was my dad. She might have renamed it but I still know his number anytime, anywhere.

I dialed it.

But ended the call before it could connect. Mum wouldn't like that. She would forgive me if I called any other number but definitely not dad.

Without another thought, I sought through the list till I got to her friend and dialed it. This time I let it go through, listening as it rang. Aunty Mma picked up almost immediately. It was as though she has been praying for the call.

"Nekky... "

"Aunty good day"

"Ada? What happened? How's Zara and your mum? Is.... "

"Aunty it's mum" Was all I could say to get her to listen. She was already sounding hysterical and I need her to be sound if she would be of any help to us.

"Nneka? What happened to her? Ada... "

And without wasting another second, I explained to her in details about mum's condition, and finally gave her the hospital address.

"Where are you now Ada? Where is Zara? Who is looking after you both? Oh my God! Oh my God!"

"Aunty we're at mum's workplace and we're fine."

"If you're there, who then is with her at the hospital?" She was screaming.

"Aunty I needed to get her phone so I got a lift back to her office. Right now, she's with the doctor and nurses" I replied.

"Where exactly is this office?" She asked and I could hear keys shuffling at the other end. Slowly, I gave her clear directions on how she'd come. "Just give me ten minute tops, I'm coming there. Stay put" And the line went dead.

Within a blink of an eye, aunty drove in, leaving the ignition on. Zara and I hurried into the car and she didn't wait to envelop us in a wide warm hug.

"You both are not looking bad though" She said releasing us, a weak smile taking over her lips and eyes. I smiled widely while Zara giggled.

"I missed you aunty" Zara said

"Oh I missed you so terribly honey, thanks to your mum" She replied kissing my sister's lips, letting her chuckle in happiness.

"So where's the hospital?"

"That way" I replied pointing to my left and with a swift move, she pulled towards it.

Aunty pulled the car to a stop once we drove through the black gate, and without wasting a second rushed out. Zara and I was running to catch up with her.

"Where have you been? I told you the doctor would want to brief any available family member once he's through" Abigail asked, eyeing me angrily as we walked into the wide space.

"Sorry, I needed help so went to call my aunt" I replied walking up to her. She was seated on the desk with some files arranged neatly on it.

"I don't know what you want me... "

"Abigail, have the new patient's file brought into my office immediately" A hoarse voice called out from our left.  Every head turned towards that direction and I was lucky to catch a glimpse of his grey beards before his head ducked into the slightly open door again.