Vampires Are Real-Draft #1

Vampire, also spelled as Vampyre, is a creature often described as fanged, pale and feeds off human blood. For hundreds of years, Vampires have been featured in Folklore, predominantly in Europe, although belief in them has waned in modern times.

Due to there being a long history of walking, bloodsucking corpses in Folklore, it is difficult to pinpoint a distinct set of characteristics consistently attributed to only Vampires. 

Central to the Vampire Myth, however, is the consumption of human, or in some cases animal, blood. Followed closely with the sharpened fangs with which to facilitate this task. 

Most descriptions of Vampires are that they are 'un-dead'-that is to say, having been somehow revived after death-and many are said to rise nightly from their coffins. 

Vampires are typically said to be of a pale color and range in appearances-from looking grotesque to preternaturally beautiful-depending on the tale. 

Another notable feature of Vampires is their inability to cast a shadow, or cast a reflection, which means they cannot be filmed or photographed.

There are many ways a person can become a Vampire, the most obvious one is to be bitten by a Vampire. Other methods include sorcery, suicide, contagion, or having a cat jump over a person's corpse. Some people believed that babies born with teeth on Christmas, or between Christmas and Epiphany, were predisposed  to becoming Vampires.

While Vampires do not easily die as humans, they are said to have fast healing capabilities, even though there are various methods for their destruction. 

Most of these methods include a wooden stake to the heart, fire, decapitation, and exposure to natural sunlight. Vampires are often depicted as being repelled by garlic, running water, or Christian implements such as crucifixes and holy water. In some stories, Vampires are only allowed into a house when they are welcomed.

FACTS:

1. A group of Vampires has variously been called a Clutch, Brood, Coven, Pack, or Clan. 

2. The most famous Vampire of all time, Count Dracula, quoted Deuteronomy 12:23: "The blood is the life."

3.Prehistoric stone monuments called 'dolmens' have been found over the graves of the dead in northwest Europe. Anthropologists speculate they have been placed over graves to keep vampires from rising.

4. A rare disease called Porphyria (also called the "Vampire" or "Dracula" disease) causes vampire-like symptoms, such as an extreme sensitivity to sunlight and sometimes hairiness. In extreme cases, teeth might be stained reddish brown, and eventually the patient may go mad.

5. Vampire legends may have been based on Vlad of Walachia, also known as Vlad the Impaler (c. 1431-1476). He had a habit of nailing hats to people's heads, skinning them alive, and impaling them on upright stakes. He also liked to dip bread into the blood of his enemies and eat it. His name, Vlad, means son of the dragon, or Dracula, who has been identified as the historical Dracula. Though Vlad the Impaler was murdered in 1476, his tomb is reported empty.

6. While both Vampires and zombies generally belong to the 'un-dead,' there are differences between them depending on the mythology from which they emerged. For example, zombies tend to have a lower IQ than Vampires, prefer brains and flesh rather than strictly blood, are immune to garlic, most likely have a reflection in the mirror, are based largely in African myth, move more slowly due to rotting muscles, can enter churches, and are not necessarily afraid of fire or sunlight.