Misplaced Priorities

Start from the beginning

"It's probably because he wants to stay with his new best friend Malfoy," Ron folded his arms as he slumped back in his chair. Harry frowned, shocked at his friend's words.

"What makes you say that?" Asked Harry defensively.

"Spending all your time with the git, being all friendly. It's disturbing and I disapprove," he huffed.

"He's not-"

"Ron don't be ridiculous," Hermione interrupted Harry. "He has to spend time with him for his tutoring and being friendly isn't a bad thing."

"Yeah," said Harry nervously. "It's not like I like spending time with him. But he has changed, a little."

Ron rolled his eyes and remained sulking in his chair. Hermione gave Harry a small smile in support.

+ + +

Harry, Ron and Hermione sat down at a desk in the common room during their Care of Magical Creatures free period. Harry was in no mood to study, he barely listened as Hermione explained what they were planning to do in their free hour.

Something hit him in the back of the head. He frowned as he turned around. There was no one behind him. He looked to the floor and there was a small piece of parchment, crumpled up into a ball.

He looked back to Ron and Hermione who were too busy arguing to notice his discovery. He picked up the piece of parchment, unravelling it gently.

Potter,

Ditch the homework and come fly with me.

I've got your broom.

Just because the letter did not come with a sender, Harry already knew who sent it. Harry fumed at the pompous attitude of Malfoy. Why would he leave Ron and Hermione to hang out with him? Homework is more important than flying anyway.

Well, flying's a lot more fun.

And Draco already had his broom, so no need to head up to the dorms.

"Hey, I'm just headed to the bathroom," Harry lied. "I'll be back in a second."

Ron and Hermione all but nodded in acknowledgment of his announcement and Harry felt safe to sneak out of the common room.

He pulled the heavy wooden doors open and slipped out into the hallway. Before taking a step forward he felt something hard hit his ankle and he tripped, almost landing on his face if it weren't for his fast reflexes, putting his hands out to stop his fall.

The empty corridor helped echo Malfoy's laugh as Harry got to his feet.

"Watch it Malfoy," Harry hissed.

"I think it is you that needs to watch it," Malfoy smiled. "Here." Malfoy tossed the Firebolt toward him.

Harry guessed that is what he used to trip him and snatches it out of the air, still scowling at Malfoy. Draco smiled innocently, and he held the handle of his Nimbus 2001 with both hands, leaning on it a little. Narcissa must have sent it

"Oh, you need to lighten up Potter," Malfoy rolled his eyes before walking away. "Are you coming or not?"

Harry didn't say anything in return while he followed the Slytherin boy, staring at the back of his head.

He had a moment of self-realisation. Why was he doing this? As much as he wanted to, he wasn't sure if he could trust Malfoy, the kid was still unpredictable and highly sensitive. He knew Ron and Hermione would be furious when they found out that his bathroom break was just a rouse to slack off, slacking off with Malfoy would just make things even worse.

But no matter how many times his brain thought about the consequences, Harry's feet would not halt their pre-determined route to the Quidditch pitch. Or was it their will to follow Malfoy?

He pondered this for a second. Was he really just there for Malfoy. The blonde-haired boy was a few feet in front of him, humming the tune to a song Harry couldn't recognise. Did he consider Malfoy a friend now? He wasn't sure. There was just something about him that intrigued Harry. Was it his dark past? His hidden but genuinely caring personality. His troubled present? His uncertain future? Or maybe something else entirely., something Harry could not put his finger on. He simply felt the need to be with Malfoy as much as he could. To watch out for him, to protect him. And maybe even to let him protect Harry.

In a way, Harry could relate to his childhood rival on a level that Ron, Hermione or anyone else in his life could not. Both their childhoods had been tangled up with the Dark Lord against their will and today, even after his death, they were still being affected in different ways to everyone else.

Draco had not noticed his staring as he was looking the other way which Harry could not be more thankful for. Malfoy had barely made it out the large wooden doors of the Entrance Hall before mounting his broom and racing off across the Hogwarts grounds.

Harry smirked to himself as he swung a leg over his own broom and kicked off the stone pathway. He knew they would be in trouble if they were caught flying outside of the Quidditch pitch but at that moment, he couldn't care less.

He had little trouble catching up to Malfoy as he neared the stadium, he rolled around him, teasing him lightly before speeding off.

It was not unusual for Harry to lose track of time while in the air. It was one of the few places he felt calm and at ease.

However, Harry's stomach plummeted when he spotted a red-haired figure glaring up at him from the ground. He slowly lowered himself, so his feet were firmly on the grass before meeting his eye. Ron was positively fuming, his face, becoming increasingly red with anger.