A New Generation, a New Villain - Chapter Three

"Right here."

The black SUV stopped and I looked out the window.  There was the soccerfield, and all my teammates out there with it.  At first glance, I didn't see Alexius.  But then again, I thought, who knows where he may be lurking.

"Alright, Reni, tell me the plan."  This was Nick Fury.  He was sitting in the passenger's seat and Agent Hill was in the back with me--tagging along, as always.  

"I'm to keep a sharp look out for--Alexius."  I spoke the name in disgust. 

"And if you see him?"

"I have to intercom you."

"That's right.  Go."

I climbed out of the SUV, blinking in the sunlight.

"You go, Reni," Agent Hill whispered.  I turned and smiled at her, then closed the door.

I took a deep breath.  My stomach was churning.  What if I did see him?  I took a deep breath.  Why am I so scared? I thought.  This is nothing compared to what might happen in the future.  If I'm going to be a great  S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, I'm going to have to forget these stupid emotions!

Despite what was mulling in my head, my stride was strong and unwavering--confident.  I used my peripheral vision to glance around.  No sign of Alexius yet.  I set down my bag and put on my cleats, watching my surroundings like a hawk.  No evil son of a diastrous villain trying to take over the world in sight.  I hit the field and began practice.  Still no trace of him.  I saw the SUV circle around the field a few times.  

"Rogers."  I looked up, startled, at one of my teammates, a girl whose name I couldn't remember.

"Focus."

"Um...yeah."

Practice came to an end.  Still no sign of Alexius.  I was almost disappointed.  I picked up my bag, hoisted it on my shoulder, and began walking.  My mind was swirling with thoughts, completely in my own little world.  I was just walking by the toilet shack at the edge of the field when an arm grabbed me and a hand closed over my mouth.  In a split-second, I thrust my hand into my pocket, trying to squeeze the intercom device Fury gave me.  I couldn't reach it in time and let out a muffled scream.  Suddenly I was pinned against the brick wall, Alexius's forearm across my chest and his face inches from mine.  

"Quiet, mortal!"

My heart was racing.

"What are you going to do, kick me?"  Alexius scoffed.  

I cast my eyes down, my breath shallow and rapid.  This was not how an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. was supposed to act.  

"Look at me, swine!"

I thrust my eyes up, a flame lit in my heart at Alexius's insults.  

"You will never win," I replied determinedly.  "And I don't care what you do with me.  You'll never take down S.H.I.E.L.D. and you'll never rule earth."

He cracked an evil smile.  "Believe what you want, human."  He seemed thoughtful, devious.  "I wonder what measures the Captain would go to..." he paused.  "To save his kidnapped daughter?"

I was ashamed to admit it to myself, but panic struck into my heart.  No, no! I screamed inside.  I knew Dad would do anything to get me back, even compromise the fate of the team.  

A flicker of amusement--twisted, evil, hateful amusement--glimmered in Alexius's eyes.  He seemed more terrifying than a thirteen year old should be.  Maybe it was because he was so horrifically like Loki.