A New Generation, a New Villain (An Avengers Fan Fiction)

Florence Peggy Rogers.  

That's my name.  It's old-fashioned, I know, but I sort of like it.

Nonetheless, most people just call me Reni.

Except for my dad.  He calls me Florence, or Flo.

While we're on the subject of my parents...well.  My parents.

Many stories have been told about that amazing supersoldier Steve Rogers who fought valiantly in WWII...then sacrificially crash-landed an enemy plane into vast, frozen nothingness, was frozen for 70 years, then unfrozen and brought back to modern life to fight with S.H.I.E.L.D.  

Those stories have also contained the story of Steve Rogers' true love, Agent Peggy Carter.  But those stories...well, they've only told half the story.  

Steve Rogers, the supersoldier also known as Captain America, is my dad.

And what most people don't know is that shortly after he was frozen and reportedly died, my mother, Agent Peggy Carter, was in a submarine battle with the leftover fragments of HYDRA.  My mother was sucked out of the submarine somehow (how that happened, no one is sure even now--my mom doesn't remember any of it) and become frozen herself.  The crazy part about all this is that years later, when they found my dad, they also found my mom.  But they kept her finding a secret, almost as much of a secret as my dad's finding.

My mom was unfrozen seven months after my dad was.  He often describes that time as the worst seven months of his life.  When finally they were united, they were married--it was quiet and quick but meaningful.  Nick Fury kept it hush-hush for the most part, even from the rest of the Avengers for a little while.  Most of them took it well when they were told.  Well, except for Tony.  Tony seemed a little bit taken aback at the fact that my dad could find a wife.  But then again, Tony isn't the kind of guy who could commit to a wife.

They had me soon after they were married.  Life's been pretty quiet since then.  My life hasn't been endangered because of any big threats to earth and the Avengers or anything--after all, they took care of Loki--what other major villains could there be out there?

So what's it like, being an Avenger's daughter?

Well, it's different.  I can definitely say that!  

In some ways, I'm your normal 13 year old girl.

But in a lot of ways, I'm not.  I'm not like other girls my age in that I'm totally uninterested in boys, tip-top fashion, or social stuff.  I guess when you are around superheroes...those things seem puny and minor.

I don't go to a "normal" public school.  We often travel all over the world, so I'm either taught by some special person within S.H.I.E.L.D., by my parents, or, occasionally, by a private tutor, although that doesn't happen much because there are few tutors we trust.

My parents told me about the Avengers and about their past when I was pretty young--I'm an only child, and my parents are always telling me I'm really mature--so I guess I knew enough to keep my mouth closed about it.  It was all very confusing at first, but now I get it and it's old news--just part of our family history.  

I spend a lot of time around Natasha, Dr. Banner, Tony, and Clint.  Thor has returned to earth a few times but has been away for a few years now on some business in Asgard, the kingdom he now rules--I'm hoping that he stays out there in outer space because I've concluded that wherever he goes, Loki usually comes with him.  I get along with the rest of the Avengers pretty well, and I'm sort of accepted into their circle.  I have different ways to connect with each of them.

It's easy to get along with Clint--well, relatively easy.  Clint is a guy of few words, and he's smart and quick-thinking, but he's also pretty laid-back.  When he opens his mouth to speak, you know you better listen because it's got to be something important.