A New Generation, a New Villain - Chapter Two

Author's note: One of my readers noticed that even though Agent Carter has gotten married, her title hasn't changed--she's not being called Agent Rogers.  Good observation!  Sorry for not explaining that.  Peggy has chosen to keep her old title, at least when she's at S.H.I.E.L.D., since that's what she was known by during her time in WWII.  Hope that makes sense.  :)  And now...on with the story!

I don't do cheerleading, or dance, or softball, or theater, or volleyball, or anything like that.  I guess in light of what my parents do, all that seems pretty overrated.  I don't have many interests that are unrelated to the Avengers.  That's just it.  I want to be an agent with S.H.I.E.L.D., and no, I don't want to be a mini-Maria, living out my days as Fury's assistant.

Nope.  I wanna be the real deal.  But then again, I don't have a serum, or a super suit, or a terrible temper, or amazing archery skills, or even good assassin skills.  Oops.

But there is one thing I have a passion for that has nothing to do with spying, or defeating the evil powers that try to take over the earth.

Soccer.  I love soccer.

So, twice a week during soccer season, my mom drops me off at soccer practice and then heads for S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters.  

The rest of the Avengers probably shake their heads and wonder why on earth I like it so much...but there's something about being in the open air, summoning all my energy and getting ready to try to make that big, final kick that wins a game for the team.  It's just--perfect.  It gives me a good balance against anything that might be going on at S.H.I.E.L.D...including the threat of a new Loki.

Wednesday, two days after Fury broke the news, Mom dropped me off at soccer practice and then headed for S.H.I.E.L.D.  I hoisted my duffle bag higher on my shoulder and headed for the field.  I looked around.  Coach was having part of the team do excercises as the rest of us arrived.  I walked towards one of the bleachers and sat down.  

"Hello."

I jumped a little.  Sitting behind me was a boy.  I hadn't seen him there a moment ago.

"Um...hi."

He didn't respond, he simply moved to the seat beside me.  

Well.  That's akward, I thought.  "I don't recognize you," I said, "Are you new?"

"What?"  He seemed confused for a moment.

"Are you new to the team?"

"Oh.  Eh...yes."

I frowned slightly.  This boy reminded me of someone, something...but I couldn't quite place my finger on what or who it was.  He had dark, curly hair and snake-like vivid green eyes.  He was sort of...ugly.  Well, not ugly, just...not pretty.  He was strange.  He puzzled me.

"Well, my name is Reni.  What's your name?"

"Alexius."

"Oh okay.  Do you mind if I call you Alex?"

"My name is Alexius."

Oookay.  This guy is extremely weird,  I thought.  "Well, it's time for practice.  I think we should--"

"Your name is Florence Rogers, correct?"

Woah.  This guy's a creeper.

"Uh...yeah.  Yeah it is.  But call me Reni."

OoOoOo

Mom had picked me up.  Now we were at S.H.I.E.L.D.  We were  in one of the more secret rooms.  It was stocked with computers; all over the walls were large screens and gadgets and all kinds of things that S.H.I.E.L.D. uses.