Chapter 16 : A Waitress at Pop's

Since everything had been so awkward ad I couldn't stand to face the music so I decided to skip school (horrible, I know. Not like I have parents to tell me otherwise.)

I had to listen to the phone ring everyday from the school but I don't mind.

I didn't get too far before someone started questioning my absence. After 3 days Veronica showed up to my door to question me.

I pretended to be sick and she bought it but I know this can't last forever.

Since it's Friday I decided to show up to school at around 2:30 to get my missing school and then head to Pop's. I managed to make it in and out without being seen, thank god.

When I arrive at Pop's I give him a smile and sit at the counter.

He takes my order, a chocolate milkshake and some fries, and gets it to me quickly. After about 15 minutes the bell rings and I turn to see Jug and Betty sitting in Jug's usual booth. 

I sigh and turn back around only to be greeted by Pop. "What's wrong Y/N? You seem glum."

I shrug and look down at my half-empty milkshake.

"Well, is there anything else I can get you?" He asks, not sure of exactly what to do with a sad teenage girl pouting at what seems like nothing.

"A job." I mumble to myself half-jokingly.

"When can you start?" I look up at him with wide-eyes. He's smiling.

"Wait, are you serious?" I ask him, a little too excited.

"Veronica came in a while ago tellin' me about you. She was pretty convincing so if you want the job it's yours."

I give him a huge smile. "I can start immediately!" I hop out of my seat grabbing my bag. He bends down to grab a yellow dress uniform and I hurriedly get changed in the washroom, putting my hair up. The dress is a little baggy but I love it.

I walk out and Pop smiles at me.

He goes over the notepad, abbreviations, the till and a small bit of customer service. I catch on quickly and before I know it I'm waiting customers and having a good time. At around 7pm a group of bulldogs come in shoving each other around. They take a seat in an empty booth and I walk over.

"Hey hottie." One of the bulldogs says and winks at me.

I plaster a smile on my face and open my notepad. "What can I get for you?" I click my pen looking around at the table.

"How about a piece of you." another bulldog says, grabbing my butt with a tight grasp.

I jump at the sudden touch.

I keep the smile plastered on my face and remove his hand. "Sorry, I'm off the menu." I feel eyes burning into the back of my head but ignore it.

After some more heckling I finally get their orders and walk it back to Pop.

I look around to see who was staring at me. I notice Jug's eyes on me, his eyes are filled with a small amount of rage.

Betty notices hes staring at something and turns around. I wave to Betty and she smiles at me. They go back to whatever they were doing. Betty's been making lovey faces at him all night.

I sigh and sit at the counter waiting for something to do.

"Love struck?" Pop asks chuckling.

I shrug and he places down some of the bulldogs' plates. I carry it over and they heckle me a bit more. I get through t and leave them to their food. 

"I'm going to buss some tables." I tell Pop. He nods and I grab a dish bin, clearing some of the booths that were recently emptied.

When dropping off the bin in the kitchen I notice Jughead leaving with Betty and my stomach can't help but drop. My eyes tear up a bit but I quickly hide it.

___

It's around 10:30 when the bell rings. It's been dead for almost an hour with the exception of some take-out orders. 

I look up from the counter to see who it is.

I see Jughead standing at the door staring right into my eyes. I look away first and he sits back in his usual booth.

I look at Pop with pleading eyes, hoping I won't have to wait on him. Pop "shooes" me with his hands and I nod and sigh.

I grab my notepad, pour a coffee and walk over. I place the coffee down and flip open my notepad. He was already busy typing away at his laptop.

"What can I get for you?" I ask staring at my notepad.

He closes his laptop and looks up at me. "A conversation."

I force a smile on my face and sit down waiting for him to talk.

"You hung up on me..." My heart leaps out of my chest. "And you haven't been at school."

I nod trying to calm down. "Right. Sorry about the phone thing, I haven't been feeling well."

We both nod and it stays quiet until I ask "So, you and uh, Betty?" 

He shrugs and I nod. It goes quiet again until I stand up. "So uh, what can I get for you?" I clear my throat and click my pen.

"Burger and fries." He says opening his laptop. I nod and walk the order back to Pop

The rest of the night is spent filling up Jug's coffee and trying not to fall asleep. 

Jughead leaves at 1 in the morning and I leave at 2:30.

I walk home feeling a bit paranoid because of that drunk creep.