Harry's head immediately snapped up, and for a second, I was afraid he was going to pull his hands away and scold me for touching him. Instead, he stared into my eyes and gripped my hands tightly. Without the need to say anything, the two of us understood each other perfectly.

You're not alone anymore, Harry.

We both know that isn't true.

You're never alone as long as I'm here.

A soft knock on the door startled me, reminding me of where I was and who I am; I shouldn't make promises with Harry that I'm uncertain I can keep. I immediately release his hands and glanced up to see who the intruder was.

"Sir, your presence is requested. The ball will be starting shortly. Please head over to the ballroom promptly," Lance said, sticking his head through the tiny crack he had produced between the giant double doors. His eyes flickered between Harry and I, giving me a questioning look that was just begging for details before he finally disappeared behind the closed door.

I shuffled towards the door and held it open, awaiting our departure. Instead of hustling, Harry remained in the position that we were in before Lance interrupted; his shoulders were ever so slightly raising and falling as he tried to compose himself. Eventually, he released a sigh before turning and heading straight for the door.

The two of us walked in silence toward the ballroom. Even with the silence between us, I could tell that all Harry wanted to do was scream and run away; there was just so much hurt and sadness in his aura that it made my hand itch to grab ahold of his and remind him that everything was going to be fine.

In no time at all, we were face to face with the door to the ballroom. I quickly passed Harry and reached for the handle.

"Wait!" he gasped, gripping my shoulder to immobilize me, keeping me from opening the door. "I don't think I'm ready yet; to find out whom my fiancée is, that is."

"Harry," I sighed, releasing the handle momentarily and placing my hand onto his shoulder. "You'll do fantastic. Hell, she'll be fantastic. Don't worry. I'll be right behind you if you need anything."

He smiled weakly before inhaling deeply one last time. "Open it."

Immediately after opening the door, the sound of the orchestra began to dance around us, inviting us to enter. Harry quietly approached the announcer, who quickly turned to the orchestra to hush them. Soon enough, an uncomfortable silence fell upon the room as every single pair of eyes fell onto Harry.

"Sir Harry Edwards Styles," he announced, making a gesture towards Harry. Harry, in turn, nodded to the sea of noble men and women before heading straight towards the imperial staircase to join his family on the top floor overseeing the dance floor below. I followed Harry up the steps and stood behind the family along with their personal butlers and maids. Madame Anne gave Harry a sweet yet sympathetic smile while Sir Des gave him a rough pat on the back. Harry proceeded with his welcoming speech before he turned it over to Sir Des.

"As you all know," Sir Des spoke slowly, slightly fascinated by the sound of his voice echoing around the ballroom, "today is the day that Harry's fiancée will be announced."

Just the mere mention of Harry's engagement caused uproar among the female attendees. Harry, on the other hand, deflated a bit—it was quite evident in his posture. Madame Anne reached an arm out to Harry, motioning him to hook his arm around hers. Harry promptly obeyed, and the two of them began to descend the stairs together. At the same time, an elderly man from below stepped out from the crowd with a very beautiful young lady by his side. I gawked at how perfectly matched Harry and the female—who I assumed was Taylor Swift—were together.