The Journey (Edited I)

Start from the beginning

I agree. It's very entertaining. I gue-

Silence! There is a girl!

This voice was harsh, and rugged. Studying the dragons before me, I determined that it must have come from the one on the right. He looked completely different. His scales were marred with scratches, the chocolate brown dulled to a murky maroon. He only had one set of horns, but I could see stumps where others used to be. However, his onyx claws were razor sharp and so were his teeth, which were exposed as he snarled at the others. A dragon with fighting experience then.

A girl? The fire drake, who had turned to look at the blue dragoness, swung his head back and surveyed the group. Deciding that they didn't know I could hear them, I decided to take a step forward.

"Hello. Yes, I am a girl. My name is Amy. What are yours?". Ignoring the looks the boys were shooting at me, which suggested I was going slightly crazy, I inclined my head towards the brown drake. He was evidently the oldest, and the most well respected.

The fire drake cocked his head slightly, examining the token hanging around my neck and the bag containing the egg by my side. Seemingly satisfied, he ran his tongue over his sharp teeth as he responded:

My name is Sayker. The Dragoness is Arelia and the grumpy old dragon is Crayor. It is a pleasure to meet you Amy. Please forgive our rudeness. We did not mean to talk behind your back, but it is unusual for Riders to be able to hear us before their dragon is hatched.

"It is not your fault,". I assured the dragons, and turned back to the group. I couldn't hel but notice that the dragons were no longer talking, and I felt a pang of sadness. Adam nudged me.

"We are riding together. What dragon would you like to ride?".

I surveyed them, and Sayker stepped forwards.

I would be honoured if you were to ride on me, Amy. I will make sure you and your friend do not fall.

I smiled, and gestured to Sayker. "What about the fire drake?". Adam grinned, and we headed towards the Rider, who materialised from around the other side of the dragon. He nodded to us as he mounted, extending a hand to help us up. I went first, and took the proffered hand to pull myself into a seating position, safely nestled between two spines. Adam and another two boys sat behind me, and I felt a lurch as Sayker carefully walked to the right, until there was a clear space between him and the other dragons. With a snap, the wings extended outwards, and I could see the powerful muscles contract.

"Hold on tight!". The rider warned, and I reached for the spine in front of me, grabbing it just as the red wings rose simultaneously, the shadow echoing it's movements as there was a powerful lurch and I could feel myself slipping back until I felt the spine behind me pressing into my back. The ground was falling away beneath us, the individual ladies of grass merging into one, the gouges the claws had made into the mud fading as we rose higher and higher, until the wind buffeted us and my ears throbbed. The great wings curved and I was momentarily blinded as the sun flashed in front of my eyes - bright and dazzling - before it was behind us, and the wings dazzled as they propelled us forwards. I loosened my grip on the spine slightly; but not completely. A fall from this height would kill me.

Impressive, I heard a voice muse. The group I picked up from the previous village screamed.

I laughed, the stress and awkwardness from just an hour ago, blowing away in the breeze. I was free! No longer was I going to be forced into a marriage I did not want, live in a house I didn't like, stay home and weave instead of hunt. I was free! My emotions whizzed through my brain and I felt exhilarated, the wind whistling on either side on my face. My eyes stung from it's force, but I didn't care.