26: We All Make Sacrifices

Eleanor's fingers dug into her seat as she watched Mara through the window, the moon was hanging above her like a light and for a moment she prayed that this could all be over. Of course, Stefan had popped into her mind as much as she tried to push him away but so did Matt. For years, she had clung onto the possibility of the Salvatore loving her again, but now it felt like a mere memory, and it strained her brain to try and even think about it.

"I remember that party when you danced with Niklaus," Rebekah appeared at the door frame, a tiny smile strung on her lips like a warning sign, "believe it or not, I feel like he was lonely. He had fallen in love with you, well, sort of."

Eleanor's lips curled into a smile, "We danced many times, me and your brother, and trust me - I knew he was lonely from the second I met him."

"I'm talking about the dance that we were invited to back in Italy, I think it was roughly 1960's. He was holding you in his arms, close enough that I remember I thought if he took a step closer he would snap your spine!" Exclaimed Rebekah, glancing back at a sleeping Mara before peering back to the Hemmings'. Even though she hated Klaus, there were times when she fell in love with his darkness. Maybe she could relate to him, after all, she was a creature of the night.

"I remember that... Somehow he had wooed me into dancing with him, and that was the night he told me that I was perfect for him. Of course, I didn't believe his compulsion anymore, but there wasn't anything sinister about it, it was rather sweet-" Suddenly, a slurred voice had interrupted her and the girl must've been listening. Snapping her head in the direction of the sounds, Eleanor saw that Mara had awoken and was looking at both of the girls.

With a malicious smile and wild eyes, she spoke, "Blah, blah, blah! Love stories make me sick. Now, someone let me out of this contraption before I claw your eyes out like a proper lady."

"You know, for somebody who apparently loves the hunt, you awfully talk a lot. Shouldn't you already have the blood on your hands?" Rebekah taunted her, and Mara's smile never faulted as she took a step closer, her thumb held loosely over the top of the syringe, ready to send her back into the childish nap that she would dream.

"Just let me out or I'll make you." Mara hissed, perching forward in her seat with a snarl on her lips. Eleanor laughed as she used her vampire speed to run towards her, ready to inject the needle into her skin which was laced with vervain. But suddenly Mara's hands were on hers, and the syringe was already attached to Eleanor's neck, weakening her rapidly as she fell to the ground, as the light did not appear for a while.

❊❊❊

The phone pressed against Damon's ear felt cool against his skin, which was odd due to the fact that vampire's never felt heat. Maybe it was the adrenaline, maybe it was the nerves that he denied that he had been feeling around Alaric recently. Either way, he hated it. "Bonnie just left. Rebekah should be here soon to pick up the body."

"I've got Caroline and Elijah in place. Jeremy is gonna lead Alaric to us." Stefan replied, his voice muffled due to the poor connection in the storage unit. Damon had never thought that Elena was agree to Elijah's offer, but yet again, the doppelgänger was always full of surprises.

"You just had to let her make the choice, didn't you?" Damon moaned, rolling his eyes even though his sibling wouldn't see him through the phone.

"What would you have done, Damon?" He asked him, and Damon's thoughts trailed back to the moment at the motel when he had grabbed Elena by the cardigan and pulled her so close that she kissed him, and the electrifying feeling of her lips pressed against his was enough for him to remove himself from the moment.