2: Doppelgängers aren't wanted here

Present Day

Stefan stared at her for a minute, and Eleanor was almost convinced that his nonexistent humanity was a lie. The doppelgänger was throwing her an inquisitive look, but she didn't have time to deal with her problems. It would only be less than an hour before Stefan lost control and his appetite was returning.

"I don't need saving," Stefan snarled, the voice that was usually recognisable when his emotions were shut out, "I don't need you." He stared at Eleanor and she stared back.

"Salvatore, walk with me." She instructed him, forcing herself not to look at the mirror-image of Katherine. Stefan rolled his eyes, but he was only aware once she grabbed his arm and pulled him to the side. Finally, he walked with her, keeping a close eye on Elena.

"I thought the next time I'd have to see you is your 200th birthday," She sighed as she grabbed his arm tighter, almost digging her nails into his skin. Stefan winced but still kept his eyes on the doppelgänger who was lurking behind them with a lost look in her glassy eyes, "But now was the best time to find you, wasn't it?"

"Eleanor, stop trying. I can't be saved this time, deal with it." Stefan yanked his hand out of her grip and jogged back over to the girl. That is the same line he uses every time and that's when she knew, he wants to be saved. When he says he can't be saved, that is when his insides are screaming for his human life back.

"I know you can't," Eleanor muttered as he walked back to Elena. For a moment she processed how different he looked, but how similar this reminded her of 1864, "But I'll still try anyway." With a swift look around, she decided nobody would notice what she was about to do. Eleanor used her vampire speed to run up to him, catching him off guard as she slammed him against one of the sport department walls. Behind him, she heard the piercing crack as his body hit the brick and a gap appeared in the wall. Stefan tried to push her off, but she was fuelled with pure fury that could only contrast with her age. Eleanor was much older than the Salvatore and he needed to accept that.

"Let me go!" He gritted through his teeth, like a serpent which had found it's prey. She had to do this, otherwise he would chop up the whole town and suddenly he wouldn't be the Ripper of Monterey anymore, he would be the Ripper of Mystic Falls. Stefan would never want that label trailing around after him like a lost puppy, he'd want the Saint Stefan masterpiece hanging above his head like a halo. Elena had found them and ran around the corner, her breath was short and quick but it didn't matter to Eleanor.

"Stefan," She looked into his eyes, the first time she had done today up close, "I'm afraid I can't do that." Eleanor almost hesitated when her hand landed on his neck, but then she felt it - the crack which would knock him out for a couple of hours. The one that saved him from himself, once again.

❊❊❊

"Klaus did this to him?" Eleanor knew he should have never gotten involved with the Originals, especially the worst one. The one that used to be trapped from his werewolf form, until now.

"He compelled him to shut his humanity off." Elena replied with a sigh. Eleanor could feel the weight she was carrying, baring his pain and hurt on her own two shoulders.

"Well, we're just going to have to convince him to flip that switch back on. Word of warning - it's not going to be pretty." The vampire told Elena, wondering what Stefan saw in her. When she first saw him with the doppelgänger, Eleanor wondered if he wanted to recreate his past. Were they in a relationship, or just friends?

"W-Who are you?" Elena sputtered out as she broke the silence that was haunting them. She even ignored what Eleanor had said, which made her stomach twist.