ø8

CHAPTER EIGHT
"WHAT HE WANTED."

     "Hey, Maddog

     "Hey, Maddog." Barfbag said. He collapsed onto the step next to me.

     "I've been here for three months. 33 more to go." I said, bringing the cigarette to my lips.

     "I don't have much hope left in this life." Barfbag stared at the sky.

"Hope. It keeps people living." I leaned on his shoulder.

"Forgive me."

"Why?"

"Just forgive me."

"Okay?" I looked up at him, still laying on his shoulder. I puffed out some smoke, hitting him in the face. He cringed and looked down at me. I laughed and closed my eyes.

     "Come on, let's get to bed." I nodded and put out my cigarette, hiding it under the surface. Barfbag helped me up and walked me to my cot. I pulled off my shirt and shorts, leaving me in my lace underwear.

      "Damn, mamacita." Magnet whispered from his cot. I just winked at him and got under the covers.

     "Night," I said out loud, hoping people would respond.

     "Goodnight, Dog." Armpit mumbled. I received grunts and groans from the others. I smiled to myself and rolled over on my bed, this is my family. Better than my real one.

The next morning I woke up and ripped the sheets off me. I forgot all I had on was my underwear until I heard the boys whistling. I looked at them and rolled my eyes, flipping my birdie to them. They all laughed at me and continued getting dress. I pulled on a red top cut into a crop top,

     I tied my jumpsuit around my waist and pulled my hair into two Dutch braids. I kicked Armpits bed, making him grunt and roll over. "Get up Pit, don't want to make Mr. Sir mad."

     "Shut up, Dog." He threw his pillow at me, which I caught and threw right back. I laughed when hit his head, making him jolt awake.

     "Man, Maddog, don't have to be mean." Armpit mumbled. He sat up in bed and pulled on his jumpsuit. I turned around to notice everyone else was gone. I walked out and to the shed, grabbing my shovel. I was about to go get breakfast when a hand spun me around.

"Maddog, why do you smell?" Mr. Sir growled, sniffing the air. I furrowed my eyebrows together and cocked my head to the side.

"What do you mean?"

"You smell like you been smoking."

"I think you're imaging things Mr. Sir." I said, slipping out of his grip and walking towards the food. I grabbed some tortilla covered in honey and took I bite out of it.

Once I was done eating, I walked towards the spot where my cabin was supposed to dig. I took a hole next to Barfbag and started digging. We did our usual chatter when it got to sunrise.

I stopped digging to watch the colors but the horizon and fill the sky. It was beautiful, one of my favorite things except for space. I turned from facing the sun to the boys, they were all talking except for Barfbag, he seemed quieter than usual.

"Yo, Barf, you good?" I asked him. He just looked up, peering at me from under his hat.

"Yeah, Princess." He replied, giving me a reassuring nod. His face stayed cold though, leaving me to wonder what was going on in his head.

"The water truck is coming around, come on." I said, nodding my head to the truck driving towards us. I pushed myself out of my hole, we walked towards the water, I took my spot behind Barfbag in front of Magnet. I don't remember when it was I got moved up but I did.

     Mr. Sir filled my water and sniffed the air again. I shifted uncomfortably, more nervous than I was before. He looked at me intently than shook his head. I quickly handed him my water jug and he filled it up.

I snatched it out of his hands and hurried back to my hole. I slid down the side, dirt kicked up around me. I continued on digging, forgetting about barfbag who was shoveling dirt slowly.

"Let me tell you why we're burning up out here man, it's global warming." Zigzag explained. I looked up at him and shook my head.

"The hole in the ozone is directly above my head," armpit joked.

"The holes in your head." Magnet said. I laughed quietly and glanced at barfbag. He sat on the ground peeling his sock off. Then came the deathly sound. Rattles.

"Barfbag!" I yelled. He didn't break eye contact with the Hissing snake. I quickly pulled myself out of my hole and ran at barfbag, only to get tackled by X-Ray. X-ray pushed me into a hole, who happened to be magnets. He grabbed me and held me against his chest.

I watched in horror as the snake strikes. Just like my mother, his screamed echoed in my mind. He dropped onto the floor, curling up as the snake slithered away.

I broke free from Magnets grip and ran to Barfbag. I took his head in my lap. "You're so stupid." I choked back my tears.

He reached his hand up slowly and wiped away a tear that escaped my eyes. I grabbed his hand and held it to my chest. "You said you'd forgive me." His voice was raspy and barely noticeable.

Mom and Mr. Sir ran up around me, Mr. sir on the phone. "We need to get him to the emergency room quickly."

They picked him up and carried him to the truck, laying him in the back. A couple of blankets were laid out.

"You'll be fine Barfbag. Write me from the hospital when you get the chance." I said quickly. I kissed his hand and backed off as the car started up and drove away. I fell to my knees, letting the tears escape. Arms wrapped wound my body, pulling me into my butt and laying against them.

I looked up to see Magnet. I smiled softly and watched as the car got smaller. " él está en un lugar mejor," I said quietly.

"He's not dead!" Magnet laughed shaking his head. I just smiled and laughed too.

"Yeah he's not, but at least he's happy. This is what he wanted." I quickly stood up and walked to my hole. Everyone worked silently as I cried quietly. Small gasps coming from my mouth every once in awhile. I finished my hole quickly, moving to Barf bags hole. I jumped down into the three feet deep hole and started digging.

Two other shovels dropped next to mine. I looked up to see Zero and X-ray. I smiled and quickly started digging. They started, all of us shuffling the dirt in sync. I stopped and looked up at the sky.

"Tu Me manques." I whispered softly, smiling to myself.

Sorry for the short chapter but so many people kept asking for an update. I never thought people would like this story, it's really crappy but okay.