Nineteen Years Later

Start from the beginning

Back on the platform, they found Lily and Hugo, Rose's younger brother, having an animated discussion about which house they would be sorted into when they finally went to Hogwarts

"If you're not in Gryffindor, we'll disinherit you," said Ron. "But no pressure."

"Ron!"

Lily and Hugo laughed but Regulas and Rose looked solemn.

"He doesn't mean it," said Hermione and Draco but Ron was no longer paying attention.

"Ginny!" He calls, making all present company lookup toward Ron's sister who was approaching the group with her husband Dean Thomas who held their twin girl's hands as they made their way through the steam. "I thought you weren't going to make it."

"I wasn't planning on missing out on seeing my favourite niece and nephew off to their first year at Hogwarts. Lily and Hugo frowned at her words which caused Ginny to laugh before correcting herself. "My favourite eleven-year-old niece and nephew."

James had reappeared, he had divested himself of his trunk, owl and trolly and was evidently bursting with news.

"Teddy's back there," he said breathlessly, pointing back over his shoulder into the billowing clouds of steam. "Just seen him! And guess what he's doing? Snogging Victorie!"

He gazed up at the adults, evidently disappointed by the lack of reaction.

"Our Teddy! Teddy Lupin! Snogging our Victorie! Our cousin! And I asked Teddy what he was doing-"

"You interrupted them?" Said Draco. "You are so like Ron-"

"- and he said he'd come to see her off! And then told me to go away. He's snogging her!" James added, as though worried he had not made himself clear.

"Oh, it would be lovely if they got married," whispered Lily ecstatically. "Teddy would really be a part of the family then!"

"Technically, he is my cousin in law," Draco rolled his eyes.

"And he already comes around for dinner about four times a week," said Harry. "Why don't we just invite him to live with us and have done with it?"

"Yeah!" Said James enthusiastically. "I don't mind sharing with Reg - Teddy could have my room!"

"No," said Harry firmly. "You and Reg will share a room only when I want the house demolished."

He checked the battered, old watch that had once been Fabian Prewitt's. "It's nearly eleven, you should get on board."

"Don't forget to give Neville our love!" Ginny told James as he hugged both his fathers in turn.

"Aunt Gin, I can't give a Professor love!"

"But you know Neville -"

"Outside, yeah, but at school, he's Professor Longbottom, isn't he? I can't walk into Herbology and give him love," James rolled his eyes "I'm sure he was flattered enough when he met Reg." Shaking his head at his aunt, who technically wasn't really his aunt, he vented his feeling by aiming a kick at Regulus. "See you later Reg, watch out for the Thestrals."

"I thought they were invisible. You said they were invisible!"

But James merely laughed, permitting his blonde father to kiss him on the forehead and gave Harry one last hug before leaping onto the rapidly filling train.

"Thestrals are nothing to worry about," Harry told Regulus. "They're gentle things, there's nothing scary about them. Anyway, you won't be going up to school in the carriages, you'll be going in the boats."

Draco kissed Regulus goodbye.

"See you at Christmas."

"See you Reg," Harry said as his son hugged him. "Don't forget Hagrid's invited you to tea next Friday. Don't mess with Peeves. Don't let James wind you up. And don't duel anyone 'til you know how." Draco's eyes met Harry's with a slight smile

"What if I am in Slytherin?"

The whisper was for his fathers alone, and Harry knew that only the moment of departure could have forced Regulas to reveal how great and sincere that fear was.

Draco placed a hand on his son's shoulder and Harry crouched down so that Regulus' face was slightly above his own. Regulus was a splitting image of his father, they had planned it this way. With the help of a surrogate, Draco fathered their first son and Harry their second. Lily was not theirs, however. They had previously decided they only wanted two kids but upon meeting the beautiful orphan girl they fell in love with her instantly, Harry couldn't let this child grow up without loving parents as he did.

"Regulus Neville," said Harry as he stared into his son's bright green eyes. "You were named for two of the bravest men I have ever known, one of them was a Slytherin and sacrificed himself to rid the world of an evil man so the rest of us could live in peace. And your brother likes to forget your father was also in Slytherin and he's pretty alright too I guess," Harry laughed.

Draco scowled at him but couldn't help a smile, giving himself away as he glared at his husband.

"But just say-"

"- then Slytherin house will have gained an excellent student, won't it?. It doesn't matter to us, Reg. But if it matters to you, you'll be able to choose whatever house you want over Slytherin. The Sorting Hat takes your choice into account."

"Really?"

"it did for me," said Harry.

He had never told any of his children that before, and he saw the wonder in Regulus' face when he said it. But now the doors were slamming all along the scarlet train, and the blurred outline of parents were swarming forward for final kisses, last-minute reminders. Regulus jumped onto the carriage and Draco closed the door behind him. Students were hanging from the windows nearest them. A great number of faces, both on and off the train, seemed to be turned toward Harry.

"Why are they all staring?" Demanded Regulus, as he and Rose craned round to look at the other students.

"Don't let it worry you," said Ron. "It's me. I'm extremely famous."

Regulus, Rose, Hugo and Lily laughed. The train began to move, and Harry walked alongside it, watching his son's thin face, already ablaze with excitement. Harry kept smiling and waving, even though it was like a little bereavement, watching his son glide away from him...

The last trace of steam evaporated into the autumn air. The train rounded a corner. Harry's hand was still raised in farewell.

"He'll be alright," murmured Draco.

As Harry looked at him, he laced his fingers through his husband's and he lowered his hand absent-mindedly and touched the lightning scar on his forehead.

"I know he will."

The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well.