I laugh, and Miley hesitates again, thinking. This time, however, her expression isn't nostalgic or reminiscent. It's kind of murderous.

"The closest thing to a relationship he had before you was with Alex," she explains distastefully. "She was nice, but she got so insecure and manipulative that she used Jason." Her tone is as dry and rough as the file on our nails. "She really loved his name and what he could do for her, but him not so much. Hate that bitch," she mutters under her breath.

"That's a little harsh," I say.

"I know that sounds catty, and biased because Jason's like a brother to me and it's easy for me to have a complex," she admits with a sigh. "But it's not like I hated her from the start. We were pretty cool, and back then Nina was still with us, so we all hung out. It's just... Jason and Alex were toxic with each other. He wasn't used to being played like that, so he acted out a lot when they were on and off. Part of it was his fault for going back to her every time, even after he knew he messed up and hurt both of them. All of us really wanted to intervene. He was being stupid. 

"But he came to his senses eventually and ended it for good. I'd never seen Jason so compassionate and sensitive with a girl, but at the same time he became even more of a player after that." She rolls her eyes. "I know that sounds like a long and serious relationship, but it was too exhausting and wishy-washy. So none of us are lying when we say you're his first."

"Oh," is all I say.

"Anyway," Miley says. "Then there was Chanel, Riley, Barbara, Yolanna aka Lana del Bootay, Ella, Ashley aka Ashtray, Shanina, and Alyssa. Jason was just having fun. That was entertaining." She snorts. "Ashley was the one that killed me, though. She was a side hoe but wanted to be a main chick, but that wasn't even a spot to fill. She tried to make Jason look bad, but he can do that by himself, so she just looked bitchy. On to the next one." She finally smiles wide at me. "Now there's you, Tess. Spoiler alert - you're my favorite. You're our favorite. And congrats! You made the player put his card to the side. Oh, that red right there," she tells her guy, nodding to a bottle of deep garnet polish.

I flush and don't hear my manicurist asking me what color and shape I want until he taps my arm. I snap out of it and tell him matte black, square. I'm just stunned by this information. It seems like Jason doesn't have a type, since he's dated them all. I'm also realizing how his past experiences - not just with the gang and his family, but his relationships as well - have shaped him. Where do I fit in? I don't know. I need to stop acting like I don't know what I am to him. 

Still, this information is interesting and useful. I'll try to keep it in mind without getting jaded or insecure. In other words, I want to be aware of things he might be sensitive about without becoming petty or misguided. I was never afraid of hurting Jason like he thinks he's going to hurt me - instead, I was always afraid of boring him. His life is so thrilling, unpredictable, and dangerous, and even though I'm in it now, a small part of me worries that the good girl act will eventually get old to him.

But I shouldn't feel uncertain about this, either. Jason and practically everyone close to him has told me at some point before how different I am. It wasn't like this with other girls. I was always with them for a distraction, Jason said. She's prettier than the other girls you've brought home. Is this one a keeper? Mr. McCann said. He looks at you like he needs you more than he wants you. You mean a lot to him, Za said. Not to mention I notice another thing setting me apart from the other girls: I'm actually a part of the gang, not just dating Jason. Something tells me that that's strengthening our relationship. Trust, loyalty, love, and support are just as important within the group as they are between the two of us.

"Wow," I say now, to sum it all up.

Miley smiles again. "Yeah. We used to joke around and bet on who would be the one tied down. Trust me, we never thought it would be Jason. Like, I would've put money on Gunzo or Kalfani over him. Za and Khalil are always claiming they won't get serious with a girl till they find one that's 'wifey material', but with the girls they mess with, they'll be looking forever." She snorts and rolls her eyes.