Chapter Eight

Hal felt the blindfold being tugged off him. He and the rest of the recruits had all been blindfolded to go to the place where the graduation would take place. Hal looked around. They were in a circular room high above the ground. There were massive thrones circled around him, with tiny people that looked like Ganthet wearing long robes. He spotted Ganthet among them. He looked straight ahead and saw aliens dressed in green suits. He guessed those were people who already graduated.

 He guessed those were people who already graduated

"Hello," a female Guardian said. "My name is Scar and I am the leader of the Guardians of the Universe. Today you will become an official member of the Corps and start your training. You will each come up and one of us will give you your uniform and assign you a mentor. Then you will exit with your mentor and they will explain what happens next. Is that clear?"

Hal could tell this woman was a no-nonsense person and he made a mental note to stay on her good side.

"Hal Jordan. First lantern summoner and bearer of the first Green Lantern ring. Please walk up to the middle of the citadel."

Hal wasn't ready to pledge allegiance to these people or anything, but the way Scar said it, he doubted walking up was a friendly request. He did so reluctantly.

"We are honored to have our first human become a member of the Corps."

Hal didn't like the way Scar said honored, but figured she was being the nicest she could.

"Ganthet will be presenting you with your uniform," Scar said. "Ganthet, if you will."

Hal looked to the left of Scar where Ganthet was sitting. He reached his hands out and murmured something. A green uniform appeared on Hal, complete with a mask.

 A green uniform appeared on Hal, complete with a mask

It was like nothing he had ever felt before. Hal examined the suit, picking at the material. It was almost rubbery, but very soft. It was the most comfortable thing he had ever worn.

"Hal Jordan," Ganthet said, taking Hal's attention off his cool suit. "I am delighted to pronounce you as a member of the Green Lantern Corps. Your mentor will be Sinestro. He will be filling you in with everything else you need to know about the Corps as well as training you to protect your sector when you become a galactic guardian. Sinestro, please escort Hal."

A purple faced looking man walked up to Hal and grabbed his arm. He led Hal to the edge of the citadel.

 He led Hal to the edge of the citadel

"Come on, human," he said. "My name is Sinestro and I'm forced to be your mentor. Now, jump."

"Wait, what?" Hal exclaimed looking down. "You want me to jump from here?"

"Yes, I do."

Hal looked down again and gulped.

"But I'll die!"

"No, you won't. You'll fly," Sinestro said. "Now, come on, they need us gone to move on to the next recruit."

Sinestro shoved Hal. He toppled over the edge.

"Ahh!" Hal yelled as he fell.

He felt pressure on his finger and remembered his ring. He pointed it down and willed himself to go back up. Miraculously, he did. Hal realized he was flying. He knew how to do this. He started to do flips.

"Jordan!"

Hal looked to his side and saw Sinestro flying beside him.

"Welcome to Oa."

Hal looked around for the first time and saw massive buildings and bridges.

Hal realized he could go wherever he wanted now. He could fly! Maybe his Green Lantern thing wouldn't be so bad after all.

Feel free to vote and leave a comment if you've enjoyed the chapter. I will try my best to respond to all comments. Thanks!