quatre

A chilly winter breeze

Anovlea became a winter wonderland. Beth was forced to stay at home after the fire. No visitors at all either, only the weeps of her mother and her drawings kept her company. She heard her father open the door every so often then closing it just as fast. Beth missed her friends.

One day before her father could notice Beth opened the door. "Hello Anne", she gave the red head a warm smile. "Oh Beth, you look like the snow. Your beautiful", Anne complimented her not knowing her condition. "Thank you Anne, but I love the way your hair stands out in this winter wonderland", Beth complimented back. "Oh and I had brought your school work", Anne gave her the books. "Thank you Anne, may I ask how is everyone doing", Beth held onto the door knob. "Well Gilbert has been gone too, everyone misses you too. Please tell me you will come back soon", Anne hugged her. "I'll do my best, how is Cole", she asked more. "Bethany get away from the door", Mr. Simons yelled as the winter breeze blew more giving her chills. "Anne I'm sorry but Bethany must get back to bed", he ordered her. "Bye Anne", Beth walked to her room with the books.

🍃

"Father can I please", Beth begged her father. "Bethany you can't, we don't know what will happen if you walk out there in the cold. You can die", he tried didn't look up from his paper.

"May I at least let inside Cole. I know he comes everyday but, you never let him inside", Beth heard a knock at the door. "Fine but, no going outside", Mr. Simons opened the door.

"Hello Cole, I am allowing you to visit her don't make me regret it", Mr. Simons left the two. "Hey Cole, do you want to talk", Beth grabbed his hand while he nodded not meeting her eye.

They entered the drawing room which were the bee drawing hanged next to the window. "Are you dying", were the first words out of his mouth. "Yes. I am, I'm sorry I didn't tell you", Beth couldn't face him and just stared out the snow falling.

Beth was brought into a warm hug. "Don't you ever be sorry. For all these years of promising being together, how can you leave me now ?", he held her tighter. "Cole, don't fret I am still here", Beth smiled at him wiping away his tears.

"Come sit, I just want to draw with you today",Beth wished that they acted like everything was normal and they did.

🍃

The days became longer and colder. But, the afternoons when Cole visit warmed Beth heart. The doctor visits became more frequent more medicine was given to her which all made her want to vomit them out.

"This is all we can do. The medicine will only take the pain away when it's time", Beth heard the doctor say to her father and Mrs. Simons sobs became louder.

Bethany became paler while the pain spread more than ever like every part of her body was being burned and stabbed at the same time. She was order to stay in bed not even to leave to the drawing room. All her handkerchief were no longer clean all of them filled with some type of blood stains.

"Hey Beth, Anne and the girls made this for you today. Billy had left you a letter again", Cole entered her room and gave her a ribbon. "Hello Cole, can you tell them thank you and for Billy to stop worrying", Beth adjust her position on the bed letting him sit down. At this point everyone in the small town knew about the condition of the girl, her and John Blythe were the ones being at the blink of death.

"Can you past me the paper and pencil please", she asked while Cole lied next to her. Beth tried her best to hold up the pencil but she couldn't even had the strength to draw anymore.

"That's funny, why don't you draw for me. You draw better than me anyways", Beth pulled it as a joke as she rest her head on his shoulder. "What do you want me to draw today Miss", Cole went along ignoring how cold her skin was.

"Anything your imagination can create", she watched his hand sketch along the paper making figures.

🍃

Cole had left hours ago, and Beth felt death giving her a taste. Time was near so she gathered the papers she made months before with names on them tied each and every one with a red ribbon.

She held a satisfied smile. Planning her day for tomorrow. "Father, Father", Beth called him out. "Yes my dear", he entered his room. "Please give these to my friends, let them visit it's not long now. Please", she gave him a smile. "Of course my dear", he closed the door as a single tear fell down his face.

🍂