Chapter 10: His Side

I noticed that Bella had begun acting strange ever since the Denali's had gotten here. To be honest the Denali's thoughts were confusing me terribly. They were all over the place, and just short of gibberish. I had eventually given up trying to decode them and started using my family's minds to keep tabs on Bella. I was getting concerned over her strange behaviour. It only registered in the back of my mind that Tanya was talking my ear off. I was using Alice's mind to watch Bella. She was also keeping tabs, as was Carlisle and Jasper. You would think my first choice would've been Carlisle, but it was awkward for me as I was quickly falling for his biological daughter.

Alice lost her focus on Bella momentarily when she and Kate got into a conversation about the nomad life versus the family life as a vampire. It was a moment too long for me and without thinking I quickly switched over to Jasper's mind. What I found there nearly made me sick. Jasper noticed the change in my emotions and clued in instantly.

I can't figure it out, but she feels so isolated and upset. He thought to me. I didn't understand it either, we were all being sure to smile encouragingly at her to show her we were still here for her. It bothered me so much I leaned around Tanya and asked softly "What's wrong?" being sure to let the concern show through my voice. What I didn't expect was her to begin shaking in fear... at least what I thought was fear. Emmett had heard the question and upon Rosalie's encouragement had come to check what was going on. I was entirely flabbergasted when my simple question caused her to fall to the ground. My eyes widened in fear. Emmett decided to try and lighten the mood as the tension was practically palpable.

"Why do you always fall?" he chuckled good naturedly, then added "God love her." Love her, I repeated to myself before quickly refocusing to the problem at hand. I was confused to see that not only was she no longer on the ground, but out of the room entirely. I looked around to see that everyone was upset. Carlisle's face was torn between fear and confusion, he was fearful for what was going on with his daughter, and confused towards her actions. My eyes narrowed in on Tanya and Irina who were looking smug, oblivious to Jasper who was glaring daggers at them.

"What are you doing?" I spat at Irina, alternating my gaze between her and Tanya. They both put on innocent faces and looked at me confused.

"Edward, I honestly can say I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about," Tanya told me, and as I didn't have any proof I couldn't interrogate them any further. However I did hear Eleazar think I've warned those girls about this. I made a mental note to talk to him about that.

"I'm going to go see if she's okay," I announced getting up, wanting to get away from Tanya. As I passed where Carlisle was sitting in his chair he grabbed my arm and shook his head at me.

"She needs time to think, she'll come around. If she isn't out by the end of the day one person will go make sure she's okay," he told me, but I didn't want to agree with him.

"Why can't I check now?" I challenged and he looked surprised before shaking his head and looking at me neutrally.

"Whenever she would get upset when we were human, she wouldn't talk to anyone until at least a few hours passed. The only exception being if she came out on her own, right now she has her walls up and nothing you say or do will lower them. Trust me; I used to try when she was a kid," he explained calmly, and I relented.

"Fine, but I'm going to my room for awhile," I told him. He smiled, letting go of my arm. I left the room, to my dismay hearing steps following me. I really didn't want to talk to anyone, I just wanted to be close by so if anything happened I would be the first to hear.