Chapter 2: He said, She said

My father looked at me and I could see something like vague recognition. His eyes showed slight sadness but he covered it up quite well. "Hello, my name is Carlisle Cullen," he smiled. I practically felt my heart break, he didn't recognize me, he couldn't remember me!

I thought over my option at this moment and thought I could reintroduce myself, tell him who I was. On a split second decision I responded "I'm Isabella, but call me Bella." I could tell he recognized the name because he flinched ever so slightly. "Well, thanks so much for all of this, but I really must be going. I'll see you at school," I said turning to the Cullen kid's discreetly hiding my necklace under my shirt.

"Alright, if you have to go, but remember you're always welcome here," Esme smiled and I smiled back.

"Of course, thank you again. Bye," I told them and ran out into my car. I drove away much faster than I probably should have but I needed to get away fast, before I broke down.

Finally when I was sure I was out of hearing range I allowed myself a couple of sobs to escape but managed to wait till I pulled up into my own driveway. I didn't even get into my house before I collapsed onto the steering wheel and allowed myself to break down in sobs. After about 15 minutes I got up and managed to get inside.

I trudged up to my bedroom and allowed myself to collapse onto the bed. You may be wondering why I chose to pretend I didn't know him, why I chose to not tell him my last name, why I chose to hide the necklace he gave me the night he disappeared. Well it's quite simple, I may not have developed a family from when I was changed, but he did.

He has put together the family we didn't really have when we were human. He had me, that is true, and grandfather was around as well, very true, but that was all. Now he has a wife that he loves. It's so obvious that he loves her a lot, I saw that as soon as he walked into the room with her. He has a bunch of kids that he considers his own. It was hard to not feel as though I was being replaced, but I had to hide those feelings.

If he didn't remember on his own, then I won't bug him. I won't disturb the life that he had built up here. I could go on with life, easy as that. I jumped up; I needed to get my mind off of this before my resolve wavers. With that I ran out into the forest and attacked the first animal that crossed my path.

I found a small clearing after going for a hunt. I laid down to the side and sighed with the memory of what I had just decided. I pulled out the note from my Dad that I always carried with me, it also helped to calm me. "I'll always love you too," I whispered "That's why I have to do this. This will be good in the long run." I assured myself that it was the right thing.

"Who are you talking to?" someone asked from behind me, and I jumped up and spun around to meet eyes with Alice.

"N-No one," I stuttered, stuffing the note back into my pocket.

"I saw Bella," she said in a quiet voice.

"S-Saw what," I tried to make my voice sound casual but I kept stuttering no matter what.

"We didn't explain our powers, did we? I can see the future, to an extent, so before you changed your mind I saw you introduce yourself to Carlisle as Isabella Marie Cullen," she explained, and my eyes widened.

"Alright, so, Cullen wasn't a rare name back in that time," I told her, and she nodded.

"Maybe, but if you ever want to talk, I'm good at keeping secrets," she winked, and I laughed.