Chapter 1: Me and My Dad

I rolled over in my bed wishing to forget my human years. Sometimes I wonder why I even have a bed, seeing as I don't sleep. I bought it on a spontaneous shopping spree that ended up leading me to a home furnishing store that in turn lead to this black and blue bed finding home in my room. I rolled over again wondering once more why I even laid down knowing that as soon as I do my mind would go back to my father. I sighed giving up on the internal fight against said memories and closed my eyes allowing them to fully play out.

I am 10 years old. My Dad was trying to get me to sleep, little does he know that my friends older sister let us try some coffee while I was over there and getting me to sleep is an impossible task tonight. I giggled quietly and Dad looked down at me confused at what was going through my little 10 year old mind. "Daddy!" I squealed and his eyes widened.

"Are you okay Sweetie?" he asked suspiciously and I nodded happily.

"Of course Daddy!" I almost yelled and he jumped in surprise.

"Well, you know grandpa is getting on right?" he asked slowly and my good mood slipped as I calmed down almost instantly.

"What are you saying?" I pressed as he sighed sitting down next to me.

"Grandpa wants me to help take over his job tomorrow night; I will leave after you go to bed and be back before you wake up. I am just telling you so you do not worry if I am not here when you wake up," he explained in his familiar calm voice. Being around him for 10 years I always found it soothing in a weird way.

"You will be okay though. Right?" I asked him knowing that he never lied to me, he even told me so once. He nodded reassuringly and I smiled, my good mood returning as I hugged him happily. "As long as you are not going to leave me," I told him.

"I would never leave you," he said and something in his voice told me that he meant it with all his heart and I tightened my hug.

I whipped open my eyes and shot out of bed. I missed my father so much and I usually repressed those memories knowing that they brought nothing but sorrow and loneliness. I let out a very shaky breath and looked at the clock that I had placed by my bed when I moved here. "Crap!" I muttered realizing that I had lost track of time and I had to get to school soon.

I had just moved to Forks and the last thing I needed was being late on my first day of school. I was hoping to stay here for a good few years seeing as being a vampire entitled not aging and if you wanted to associate with humans, you had to move every few years to not bring up suspicion.

Which is just what I'll get unless I get moving this moment. I ran across the hall to my bathroom and stepped into the shower. With the calming flow of water going down my back I relaxed and subconsciously allowed more memories to flood back into my mind. It was almost like I had open the dam that was holding back all of these.

Dad was going to go do his job for grandpa tonight. I promised that I would be good for grandpa and Dad had accepted that. He was tucking me into bed just before he was going to leave. "Do you really have to go Daddy?" I asked for the gazillionth time and Dad just smiled sadly at me once more.

"Yes, but I told you I will be back before you wake up," he responded for the gazillionth time. I knew that their work was incredibly dangerous, but I trusted Daddy when he said he would come home. "Here," he said reaching into his pocket and pulling out a beautiful necklace. "This is our crest, wear it always and it will keep you safe," he instructed me and I allowed him to put it around my neck.