Chapter 7 Preparations

I zipped up the bag Lilly packed and dropped it beside mine. Of course, both our bags were way over packed. When packing mine, I had to continuously tell myself that it was only for one weekend; I was never much of a light traveler. Part of me still couldn’t believe my daughter and me were about to spend the weekend with Kendall.

    As if on cue, my phone began to vibrate in my pocket. Pulling it to my face, I smiled. “Hello, Kendall,” I said into the phone.

    “Hey, are you all packed?”

    “Well,” I looked down at our bags, “I think we have everything we need.” I decided to use this opportunity to pry for information. “What exactly do we need to pack?”

    Kendall laughed. “Just pack some clothes. It isn’t a big deal, and if you don’t have something you need, I’m absolutely sure I could get it for you.” He paused to chuckle once more. “You’re not trying to dig information out of me, Mr. Green?”

    Crap. He figured me out. “Of course not,” I muttered, defeated.

    “Though, I’m sure you have way more than enough packed. I remember that one time we camping. You ended up packing so much that I couldn’t even shut my trunk.” He paused to laugh once more, and I smiled at the memory. “I’m going to take a long shot and say that you haven’t changed that much.”

    I wrinkled my nose. “That’s not funny! If I wouldn’t have over packed, you would have spent that whole weekend scratching your ass. Thankfully, I had calamine lotion,” I added triumphantly.

    “That is very true.” An awkward pause fell over the conversation. Breaking the silence with a loud sigh, Kendall spoke. “What all did you do with your life, Aeden?”

    His words stuck me in a way that almost made my heart hurt.

    Almost.

    Seventeen years passed between us; Kendall missed everything I experienced. We didn’t know each other anymore; however, despite the time, why did I still have feelings for this man, the man that left me behind?

    I blew out a breath. “Why don’t we save the catching up for when we’re face-to-face, huh?”

    Kendall chuckled lightly. “Sounds like a plan. I’m sure we have a lot to catch up on.” He paused. “You looked really good today, Aeden.”

    His words made me flush. Hell, it wasn’t even over the fact that it was Kendall freaking Rogers. I didn’t get much attention from men anymore. Partly, it was by choice. It didn’t feel right to bring random men into Lilly’s life.

    I cleared my throat and said the best thing my mind could cook up. “You too, Kendall.” I shoved my fingers through my hair and ran my hand down my face. That was the best I could do? “What exactly do you have planned?” I asked only to change the subject.

    He laughed. “I just want you and Lilly to spend the weekend at my house, and before you go on one of your long-winded objections, I just want to catch up; I really want to know about your life has been. I never have guests, and I think that I could give you a nice break from,” he paused then added, “I mean, I’m not saying that you need a break from your life.” He fell silent once more. “Look, it will be fun, ok?” He sounded winded, and I couldn’t help but laugh. “Don’t laugh at me,” he nearly wined.

    I laughed harder. “Talk about long-winded. I just want to make sure that you’re positive about this. It’s not too late to change your mind, you know? Lilly can be a handful sometimes, and I don’t really want to scare you away.”