Plus One

The deployment ship was inbound to its target location.

"Everyone, listen up!" Jack Morrison called out.

His team walked over to him.

"We have word that there is a terrorist in the building." Jack began to give his group new intel about their mission. "They have a bomb, and an estimated 100 hostages are in there. If that bomb explodes, so do they."

The deployment ship dropped down. "We are ten minute walk from the site, so the target cannot see us." Jack walked towards the exit.

The door opened up, allowing the group to leave the ship.

The building was a faint figure from where the Overwatch members stood.

"Let's go!" Morrison called out. He began to walk at a quick pace.

The group rushed. Every now and then, Angela would look towards the building.

The last time she looked, it exploded.

She gasped. Angela could not believe her eyes as she watched the building crash down.

The team stopped dead in their tracks, watching the building collapse.

***

The team had finally made it to the site. All that was left of the building was rubble.

"We were too late." Jack mumbled in disbelief. "Everyone, let's go, the clean up team will take-"

The muffled cry of a baby was heard.

The child was obviously under the debris of the building.

"What the-" Jack watched as Angela rushed towards the source of the sound.

The medic began prying pieces of the building away.    She turned back to the group. "Don't just stand there! Help me!"

Lena blinked over, and was followed by Reinhardt.

Jack stared at them, unable to process what was happening.

"JACK!" Angela hollered sternly. "HELP US!" 

At this point everyone except Jack was working to find the child.

The baby began to cough; it was suffocating.

"HURRY!" Angela hollered, frantically trying to get the rubble off the baby. At this, Jack sprinted over.

The group worked and worked, racing against the clock.

When Morrison pulled off another busted up plank of wood, he saw a face peak out. Their eyes locked.

"I found the baby!!!" He hollered. "Help me get this metal bar off..." Morrison strained himself.

Everyone rushed to help him.

The heavy bar took everyone to move.

With the baby free, Angela quickly scooped it up and attempted to calm it down.

"This child can't be more than three months old." Angela observed.

Jack looked down at the cleared spot they had made. His eyes widened as he saw a male and female's remains close by child's location. They were long gone.

"The parents...are deceased." Jack announced solemnly.

This made the group's feeling of victory short lived.

"This poor child." Lena's eyes welled up with tears.

"...It's a girl." Angela had managed to stop the baby from crying.

Jack walked over to the baby. Once again, their eyes locked.

The baby began to go reaching for the Strike Commander, making him confused.

"She wants you to hold her." Angela walked over to Jack.

He awkwardly backed up. "What if I drop it?"

"Oh don't be silly, love!" Lena sniffled.

"Yeah, hold zee baby!" Reinhardt proclaimed. "Don't vee scared of her!"

"I guess you're right..." Jack slowly walked back to Angela.

He put his arms out, ready to hold the little girl.

"Okay, here we go!" Angela smiled.

The baby was transferred into his arms. He went all stiff, and had a look that expressed his terror.

"Don't just stand there! Rock her." Angela sounded encouraging.

He awkwardly rocked the child. The little girl stared up at him, and kept reaching up for his face.

As he held the child, Jack seemed to become part of his own world. He began to sing to the little child: "You are my sunshine...My only sunshine...You make me happy, when skies are gr-"

"Jack!" Angela cut him off.

"Huh?" He looked at her, realizing what he did.

Everyone laughed.

He looked down at the baby. She was fast asleep.

"Okay, I'll notify everyone that we are leaving." Jack whispered.

"Angela take the child so she can get examined on the deployment ship." He gingerly handed her off to the medic. "Okay, everyone...let's go."

The group began to leave the site.

Jack began to talk into his com. "Update. Unfortunately the building exploded before we could get there. Cleanup crew should get here stat. Active team is returning to the deployment ship now." Morrison paused for a moment.

"...plus one."