Chapter 16 "the good life"

Rock

" damn this place look good"

" yea man I ain't gotta deal with y'all crazy ass no more" I said to Kane and Dub.

We was on my porch just taking in everything.

" so when did you p.o said you was gone get off parole"

" in the next five years depending if I follow everything" I said taking a swig of my bud-lite.

" damn man to be honest yo ass should be off right now"

" true" I said agreeing with him.

I heard someone knocking at my door.

" let me find out you bought some strippers boi" Dub said cheesing.

" Nawl man" I said laughing.

I walked to the door opening to see Black and Evan who was standing behind him.

" yo what the fuck you doing at my house"

He looked bout ready to say some but Black stopped him.

" Look man I brought him here to apologize man to man, this shit needs to end" Black said looking between us.

I could do nothing but respect that.

By then Kane and Dub came to the front looking serious.

" everything good" Kane said first staring at both man.

" uh yea"

I introduce Black to Kane and Dub before I stepped outside to speak to Evan.

" Gimme one reason I shouldn't kill yo ass for stepping on my front porch like we cool" I said staring him in the eye coldly.

" to be honest I deserve it but foreal I apologize, the only reason I did it was because I had a kid on the way, and I wanted to be apart of his life."

" nigga what" I said not believing him.

" I know it sounds crazy but when we were going through the trials and stuff I never got the chance to tell you that since they had us separated most of the time "

At this moment I didn't know how to feel.

" if you wanna kill me than go ahead" he said stepping back.

I looked at him knowing his ass was serious.

Although I really wanted to , but I didn't want to add nothing else to my record.

" nah man I aint gone kill you, but I will never forget what happen" I said honestly.

" and don't think we back buddy buddy cause that ain't the case"

" it's cool I understand" Evan said nodding his head.

We both stood quiet watching cars pass by.

" how old is your son"

" he would of been 17 but he was gun down"

" damn sorry to hear that, what happen"

" some niggas back then wanted my head cause I was at the top, and shot him and my girl" he said staring down at the concrete.

" that's messed but where is Pete"

" that nigga got stabbed to death last year, he got on drugs bad and owe some dudes" Evan said shaking his head.

All this stuff he was spitting to me was wild. Hearing this made me wonder was all of this bad karma on them.

After chatting it up we headed to the back patio where the rest of the guys were.

*******************************
A month later .........

Nia

I couldn't take it anymore I was at my last straw with Ashton.

He slept peacefully like everything was ok.

I check the time on the night-stand to see it was 5 in the morning.

I knew I needed to leave here admittedly.

It was too much from the controlling, beatings, he even raped me a few more times.

I was tired of it all. It hurts me to the soul that I let this man do this to me.

I'm pretty sure the both of my parents would be disappointed in the man I have chose.

Carefully, I got out of bed without him noticing it.

I looked in the room to find in his jacket that was on the chair that sat in the corner of his room.

Inside of the pocket was my phone.

I didn't know where he did with my car keys.

I snuck into the bathroom closing the door without the screeching noise and debated on who I should call.

First was Asia but I'll figure he would find me there.

Second was Marley but she has her daughter to worry about and I didn't want jeopardize her getting into my situation.

Lastly, Rock he was my only option although Ashton didn't like him because we were friends at the time.

I look through my call log seeing I still had his number save although he told me to delete his number.

I listen as it ring and going to voicemail. I tried again .... no answer.

After the third try I gave up.

I slid down the wall feeling stuck.

I didn't have no one to lean on to.

Throughout my years of living I never picture I'll be in this predicament. 

As I was about to leave out the bathroom Ashton was at the door with the meanest look on his face.

At this point I knew this man was bound to kill me with his bare hands.

Rock

I was up early in the morning mopping the floors.

My music wasn't blasting as usual but I look to see the paramedics coming in with a gurney.

Since I figure it was none of my business I continue doing my daily routine.

All of a sudden Nia came to the front of my mind. This morning I check my phone to see her missed calls.

I figure she was only trying to get me to speak to her. I ain't have time for the shenanigans though.

Just as I was looking up the paramedics was coming with a body laying lifeless on the gurney.

It was her.

I blinked my eyes to see was it really her and it still was.

Damn.

I watched as they put her in the back and leaving the scene admittedly.

At this point I couldn't let my ego get in the way. I had to go see her.

In my heart she was still a friend although I never want to admit it.