Chapter 8

The last few days haven't been great. Coach was still mad at us for playing the Varsity. He said 'we lost our mental edge on them.' Or whatever.

Plus my ribs have been killing me. They haven't gotten better. They are still blue, purple, and now a little black.

Yea I know I should tell someone but then if I get benched coach would have our butts. He is already mad enough.

Anyway I'm meeting Banks soon. We haven't been able to talk since the game. He slipped a note in my locker to meet him in the locker room since we had practice earlier this Saturday morning.

I enter the locker room and sit on one of the benches. About five minutes later Adam enters the room.

"Hey."

"Hey." I stand up but wince since I'm pain. I can't even stand up without it hurting.

"Are you alright?"Banks asked rushing to my side with concern.

"Um yea just my ribs hurt a little."

"A little? You could barely stand up."

"I'm fine."

"Let me see them."

"Adam I'm fine."

He gave me a 'really, just show me' look.

I huffed and lifted my shirt up revealing my badly bruised ribs.

"Kenny." He whispers. "You need to get that checked out."

"I can't."

"And why not?"

"Because if I get benched coach will have our asses." I hiss.

"So what? You could injure yourself majorly if you don't get it checked out and rest."

"But I can't Adam." I whisper.

He looks sadly at me. We start at each other like that for awhile until he looks down at my lips. He looks back at my eyes and I nod.

He leans in and kisses me. God this is great. He lips are so soft and I feel so happy. Like nothing can ruin this moment.

But I was wrong.

"What the hell?" A voice yells from the doorway.

We both whip our heads at the sound. There stands the last person I wanted to find out.

"What are you doing here Charlie?" I ask.

"I forgot my wallet after practice. The guys and I were going to go get dinner. I could ask what you are doing but I can see." He crosses his arms and glares at Adam.

"Look Charlie let me explain." Adam starts.

"No, don't talk Banks. I want you to stay the hell away from her."

"Charlie you can't do that."

"You aren't the boss of me or him Charlie, so you can't and won't."

"I can and I will. He doesn't care about you. He's with the Varsity now."

"That's not true Charlie. I care a lot about her."

"Like hell you do."

"I do! I love her!"

What? I turn my head back to him. "You- you love me?" I whisper.

"Yes I do." He cried.

"I love you too!" I sobbed.

"My ass you do!" Charlie yelled interrupting us.

"Charlie stay out of this." I sternly tell him.

"You can't believe him Kenny."

"Why not?"

"You can't be serious."

"Charlie, look I didn't know about any of the things the Varsity was planning. They didn't tell me about the clothes until they were bragging about it later and then the dinner they didn't tell me till I got there..."

"I don't want to hear it Banks."

"Charlie please."

He started walking towards me. "Go cry to your rich parents Banks."

"Charlie...." God his eyes are watering. I can tell this is tearing him up inside. Fighting with his best friend.

"Come on Kendra we're leaving." He grabbed my arm and yanked me to the exit.

"Oww!" I cried out in pain.

"What?" Charlie asked now actually sounding sincere.

"It's just my ribs I'll be fine."

"What? Your ribs?" He lifts my shirt up which I quickly pull down.

"What the hell happened? Did you do this?" He accuses Adam.

"What the hell Charlie. Of course he didn't do it! It was during the varsity game. I honestly cannot believe you right now."

I am honestly so pissed at him right now I just want to rip his head off. How could he accuse Adam. Like the hell.

I angrily storm out of the locker room leaving both of them behind. I stomp down the hall and out the doors towards my house.

I know I leave a couple blocks away but I'm so pissed I don't even care.
I can hear Charlie running after me but that makes me even madder and I keep on going.

I eventually get to my building and march up the stairs. I enter our house and go straight to my room slamming my door.

"Kenny!" Charlie yells bursting through my door.

"Don't call me that. Only my friends can call me that." I said glaring.

"What did I do?"

"What did you do?!?" I yell. "More like what you didn't do! When we first got here I was so happy and excited that our team got this opportunity. I was ready for this year. Then when Adam gets pulled up to varsity you start treating him like dirt. It's not his fault. How could you accuse him of the bruises, like what the hell? I honestly believe he didn't have anything to do with those stunts. But do you care no not even about my feelings. And then you decided to have a thing with Coach Orion and you quit! You quit the thing you love the most! And you're suppose to be my brother. My brother! You're suppose to care about me. I care about you so would you for once return it? I even like Rylie more than you right now."I practically scream all of it at him and I didn't even realize I started to cry. But he just sits there looking guilty but I don't care. It felt good to finally let that off my chest. And it was harsh to say the Rylie thing but I'm pissed so he deserved it.

"Kenny." I glare at him. "I'm sorry."

"That's it your sorry?"

"Look, I know I haven't been the best brother or friend. But it's hard with Coach Orion. He just doesn't understand us."

"You had the same thing with Bombay at the beginning. Now look at you two. The only thing that needs to change is your attitude. So please leave me alone."

I point to the door and he trudges towards the door. He stops and looks at me. I just keep on glaring waiting for him to leave. He does, hesitantly though.

Once he closes the door I collapse on my bed and let it all out. I scream and cry into my pillows. I would have kicked but I tried but it hurt to much.

I eventually cry my self to sleep even thinking about everything about Charlie and Adam.