Chapter 2a

Ayoo. Just a quick note for y'all. I've been getting comments saying that my chapters are pretty lengthy, so I'll be splitting them up into segments from now on. The whole chapter will still be uploaded at once, but in different parts to make it a little less overwhelming. This chapter has quite a bit in it, but I felt like it couldn't be split into two chapters. Another thing. This is a trigger warning for anyone who is sensitive to stories of sexual assault. There isn't any descriptive assault written, but it's insinuated. I'll put up a more lengthy disclaimer at the heading of the part that has it, and the part right before. If anyone has any thoughts or concerns about it, please pm me. The last thing I want is to take away from the severity of the situation or disregard survivors of sexual assault. I'll go into more detail later, but I needed to put up a general note here. Okay, here's Chapter 2.

All around me, chaos ensues once more. People run in all directions, mainly away from the center of the market. A few curious ones linger on the edges of the scene that has many others fleeing. Children cry in confusion and fear, separated from their families. Names are cried out as friends and families search for one another. I should leave and find Finn, but curiosity gets the better of me. That, and the fact that I've never necessarily been good when it comes to should.

For the second time today, I fight against the current of people running from whatever horrifying incident that has taken place. Although I was terrified earlier, curiosity overpowers the fear and drives me forward. The disappearance of the black smoke – and people no longer acting like raging animals – lessens the emotion as well.

I block out the frightened faces rushing in the opposite direction and follow the sound of pained screams and worried cries. This isn't going to end well. My feet continue to move despite the uneasy feeling pooling in my stomach.

Finally, I shove my way to the front of the crowd surrounding the scene, and the sight before me causes me to slightly regret coming here.

A girl, no more than ten years old, writhes on the hard cement. Tears run down her face as she cries in pain. Green ropes – no, plants? I lean forward, gawking at the sight. Somehow thick, green vines have broken through the ground and have wrapped themselves around the girl.

The vines continue to grow and tighten, and roots begin to accompany them, snaking out of the holes previously created, and squeeze the girl further. She tries to reach out, but her hands are bound together tightly against her chest.

A woman kneeling beside her, the only person willing to be near the girl at all, cries out, "Someone help my daughter, please!" The woman begs the ring of people surrounding her. Her only responses are nervous murmurs and anxious glances.

The girl cries out again as the greenery constricts. Her mother looks at her, struggling to keep herself composed for the girl's sake. "I'll get you out, Vera, don't struggle as much. Please, you'll be fine. Everything will be fine."

I don't know who she's reassuring.

A root slithers around Vera's neck in the blink of an eye and closes around her throat, locking her head in place. The girl screams, but it's cut off by her choking and spluttering. The plants grow and spread faster, venturing towards the circle of people as their screams and legs try to drive them away.

The woman becomes near hysterical. "Vera? Oh, God," She crawls closer to Vera and pulls at the plants that seem to have a mind of their own. Her attempts are futile, and Vera's face begins to turn a sickly shade of purple. Her mother frantically pulls at the root around Vera's neck and is only rewarded with cuts and scratches from the rough bark. "Help! Help! I'm begging you. Someone, anyone!" she pleads. Vera's arms and legs slowly stop struggling as her body slows, accompanied by her mother's desperate cries. and it's enough to finally spur me into action.

Remushing over, I falltofall to my hands and knees beside Vera. I slip my knife out and cut away at the thick vines as Vera's mother talks to her. "Come on, Vera, you'll be fine, hang on." She cradles Vera's face as tears run down her own cheeks. The root is unnaturally thick, and I saw at it vigorously. How did this happen? The plants came out of nowhere and just attacked this girl. What brought them? Is it an Aurelian? Why would they do this? They only want a Transfer, not a regular girl. Unless...

Vera's eyes fluttering closed snaps me from my thoughts and I forgo cautiousness. I hack at the wicked plant until there is barely a quarter inch left and slice at the final fibers, prying the severed root away from the girl's throat. The color slowly seeps back to her face, but Vera doesn't stir.