Chapter Sixteen (Pt. 1) : How Unexpected

Start from the beginning

"Is Avery here?", I ask hopefully.

Aunt Carina gives me a sad smile, "No, I'm afraid he's still stationed in Osaka."

"Really?", I frown. "When does he come back?"'

"I wish I knew for certain. I don't think he'll return until the Spring."

I nod sadly, "Well, if you hear from him, will you let me know?"

"Certainly," she smiles. "He asks about you a lot, you know. He's always thinking of you."

I give a weak smile in response and bid her goodbye as I leave with my friend.

As we walk over to a vacant table, he asks me about the exchange.

"Avery is your cousin, right?", he asks. "The one in the Navy?"

I nod, "Yes. I haven't seen him in years."

"You two were really close?"

"He was my best friend, like my brother. He was always there for me, but since he left to Japan a few years ago... You know."

We sit at the round table covered in a deep maroon-colored tablecloth with pretty flowers and candles in the center of it.

"Guess you must miss him a lot," he notes as we're sitting side by side.

"I do. When he left I was afraid I'd be alone for the rest of my days, but..."

"But?"

I turn and give him a large smile, setting my hand on his for a moment, "But then I met you."

~

Dylan's POV

A big show is made of singing Happy Birthday to Anita's grandmother while a large white cake decorated with pretty red and white roses is set before her.

Everyone applauds once she blows out the candles and a large smile finds its way to her face. The huge cake is cut into thin slices for everyone as they take their plates and stand around the dance floor; it is announced that Anita has a special song prepared.

While the cake is being distributed, I watch as she makes her way to the side of the stage whereupon the band members leave it. She outstretches her thin arms, handing a CD to a man who promptly pops it into a player.

Everyone is settling down, and whooping and cheering commence as she walks onto the stage, smiling that stunning smile of hers. She's still smiling while she turns the microphone on and brings it to her pink lips.

"Um, hi," she says tentatively in her adorably soothing voice. People cheer after that, too. "For those of you who don't know me, my name is Anita Burns. Miss Giana Burns is my grandmother. At her request, I sing a song for her on her birthday every year. Very many years ago when I first agreed to this, she gave me a list of her favorite songs, and a lot of them I'd never even heard of before."

People laugh, then she continues, "But one song on the list has been a favorite of mine since I was around six years old. I actually sang this with you, Nonna, a lot. So this song means a lot to me, and I hope you enjoy it."

Applause sounds as Anita nods lightly to the man near the CD player, and once he pushes a button, a short intro plays before she starts to sing.

Now, I've heard her sing a few times because she does it a lot. But when I have heard her, she's always singing quietly or obnoxiously loudly; suffice it to say I've never heard her sing for real. Until now.

I listen intently because it's really difficult not to. I knew she could sing, but this has taken it to a whole other level that I never even knew was existent. She closes her eyes and keeps them closed practically the entire time.