Chapter 26

C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - S I X

The next few days were torture for Athena. Jake didn't go to school, he left the house before she got up and came back long after dark. She knew he was always close- he had to be.

Athena knew she didn't have to make an effort for school. There was no mate to find, and she had attended the school for almost two weeks. There were no new impressions to make. She numbly shuffled down the hall but stopped when Maeve called out to her as she padded swiftly down the hallway.

"Hey! Are you alright? You've been... quiet. And where's Jake? Isn't he always with you?"

"Hi. Im fine. Im not sure where he is." Athena replied curtly, she didn't want to talk to anyone.

"Oh um. Us girls were wondering if you wanted to go shopping with us tomorrow. The boys are coming too. Paisley's boyfriend Jack is back in town and so is Alpha- I mean Hunter." She stuttered but quickly corrected herself, not quick enough though. Athena caught the way she almost said Alpha.

But I thought Ryan made sure there were no packs around. Ripley stated, confused.

"What did you say?" Athena pressed, slightly leaning closer.

"I said do you want to-"

"No not that, did you say," She looked around quickly before whispering, "Alpha?"

"What- How do you-" Athena yanked Maeve into the nearest bathroom, quickly scanning to make sure no one was in there.

"Are you..." Athena trailed off, hoping Maeve would continue.

"No freaking way." Maeve gasped.

"Are you a werewolf?"

"You're a werewolf?" They both asked at the same time.

"Oh my Goddess oh my Goddess I think I'm going to faint. You are a wolf? What pack are you from? Why couldn't I smell you? Are you a rogue? What about Jake?" She threw her questions at Athena, but was quickly shushed.

"Yes I am a wolf. Jake is too. We're from... well it's complicated. But we aren't rogues. How come I couldn't smell you? Who else is a wolf? Is your 'boyfriend'," Athena used her fingers as quotation marks, "A wolf too? Is he your mate?" Everything was happening too quickly for Athena to comprehend.

Maeve eased herself back against the sinks, her jaw slack. Athena started to panic. She wanted to know what was going through her friend's mind, to tell her the answer to her unasked question. Maeve's face quickly morphed into one of complete recognition. Please don't say it. Please don't say it.

"You are the princess arent you?"

Athena's heart raced in fear, she had been caught. Oh shit, just play it cool like you always do. Ripley assured her.

"What? No! You're-you're being stupid. I'm not-"

"I knew it! I knew I recognised you when you started here." Maeve danced around in a circle, chanting loudly. She suddenly stopped and turned to Athena. "Your hair is different though. Why?" She questioned, confused.

Athena lifted her shirt slightly to reveal the almost healed scar across her stomach. "Fine. This is why." Maeve gasped in shock and touched the wound gently. Athena winced.

"What happened? Who knows about this?" She stared at the scar even after Athena let her shirt drop back over it.

Athena stepped closer, lowering her voice. "Have you ever heard of Hades? God of the Underworld?"