Chapter seventy five

Thomas flipped the switch, sending a bright light flooding through the waiting room.

"We have to go to the back," Thomas said, walking past the desk and into the small hallway.

Looking around the rooms, he realized he didn't know where everything he needed was.

"Let's split up," he suggested. "I'll need gloves, two syringes, a glass of water, a bowl, and an apron."

"Do you actually need an apron?" Minho asked.

"Well, probably not," Thomas admitted. "But knowing me, I'll end up spilling the whole thing all over myself. I'd rather not have to explain the mess to my mom."

"Can't argue with that," Minho said with a shrug. He walked into the closest room and turned on the light to begin looking.

Newt took off his glasses, rubbing his eyes as he started walking away but Thomas stopped him.

"Wait, Newt," he said, reaching out and grabbing his arm.

Newt turned around and looked at him exasperatedly. "Yeah?"

"Just." Thomas sighed, trying to find the right words. "Hang on, alright?"

His friend just nodded in response.

Thomas figured that was the best he could get so he let go of his friend and started walking away.

"Tommy?"

He turned around.

"Just take care of him for me," Newt nodded towards the room Minho was in. "This is hard for him, even if he doesn't show it."

Thomas nodded, his heart breaking at Newt's words. "I will."

His friend gave a sad smile, seeming satisfied before turning away.

Thomas sighed.

The cure had better work.

~~~

A few minutes later, the boys had gathered all the things Thomas needed and met in the first room.

Newt pushed himself up to sit on the table next to Minho as Thomas worked at the counter.

As soon as he arranged everything in the order he would be using it in, he realized he didn't have the most important ingredient.

His own blood.

"Um." Thomas turned around, holding an empty syringe and gesturing to his arm. "I need a bit of help."

"I got it," Minho offered, pushing himself off the table and walking over to Thomas.

Thomas took a seat on the counter, positioning his shoulder to face Minho.

"Are you sure you know what you're doing?" Thomas asked uncertainly.

"Nope," Minho answered, inserting the needle.

Thomas winced. "Great."

Minho grinned, drawing the blood and pulling the syringe out again. He handed Thomas a band aid. "Just don't ask me to kiss it."

He responded by shoving his friend away.

Minho snickered. He went back to sit next to Newt who still hadn't said a word.

Thomas caught his eye for a second but Newt immediately looked down.

He had to hurry.

Thomas got to work.