Chapter twenty seven

"Is that Griever?"

Thomas looked in the direction Alby was pointing. Next to their car in the hospital parking lot was, in fact, the dog. Strangely enough, he didn't seem worse for wear. There was no visible injuries that he could see.

Griever was just sniffing around the car but looked up when Alby spoke, wagging his tail.

"Well, I've been shucked and gone to heaven," Minho said. "It's Griever!"

Thomas gawked. He couldn't believe the dog had survived. Sure, he was much bigger but he was outnumbered by a lot. Despite his shock, he was glad to see Alby's pet.

"Griever!" Alby called, patting his legs even though he was sat in a wheelchair. "Come here boy!"

The dog let out a bark and bounded over to his owner but, before he could jump into Alby's outstretched arms, his dad stepped in front, petting the dog.

"Woah," he said. Griever immediately started licking his face. "It's good to see you too, buddy. But you've gotten be gentle with Alby, alright?"

The dog most likely didn't understand half of what he was saying but whimpered, walking next to Alby so he could be still be pet.

"How's he going to fit in the car?" Thomas asked.

"Well, he can't sit with Alby," Newt mused.

Minho walked over to them with a smirk. He put a hand on Thomas' shoulder. "How do you feel about sharing a seat with Newt?"

Thomas glanced at Newt who shrugged. "I don't mind."

Thomas sighed. "Fine."

So Griever took Thomas' spot in the middle, leaving him to sit with Newt on one side and Minho on the other.

As soon as they started home, he regretted his decision.

"I was attacked by wolves," Thomas complained. "I should get my own seat."

"Quit your complaining," Newt told him. "At least you don't have someone sitting on your lap."

He sighed, squirming to get comfortable as Minho started to laugh.

Thomas and Newt simultaneously told him to shut up.

"Yeah, yeah," Minho said, leaning around the dog. "Anyway, how do you think he survived?"

Newt shrugged. "No idea. But I'm not going to complain. This dog saved all of our lives." He gave Griever a scratch behind the ear.

That's funny, Thomas thought. I owe my life to Griever. The thing that nearly killed me over and over in my dreams.

That was one difference he wouldn't complain about.

~~~

Thomas didn't remember falling asleep but, the next thing he knew, Newt was shaking him awake.

"Tommy," he whispered. "You've got to get up. My arm is asleep."