Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

            Now I’m confused. “See what?”

            He shakes his head. “You guys are freaking perfect for each other. I have no idea how it’s got so complicated, but it’s so obvious. Seriously, how are you not together?”

            This is not the reaction I had expected. For a second, I’m so startled I can’t manage to form a coherent sentence. Instead I take to staring incredulously at my brother, wondering whether he’s suffered a damaging blow to the head or something. How has he come to that conclusion, after all I’ve said?

            “Brandon, did you listen to a word I just said?” I ask disbelievingly.

            “Yeah,” he says. “Come on, Georgie. You can’t honestly tell me you don’t see it. Regardless of everything that’s gone on… I swear, you’re perfect for each other.”

            “No,” I deny, shaking my head firmly. This was definitely not how I intended the conversation to go. Brandon’s meant to be understanding, offering helpful advice as to what my next move should be. How I can begin to fix the giant mess I’ve got tangled up in. Not telling me about some non-existent love between Connor and I. Seriously? “No, no. I don’t even… I don’t like Connor in that way. He’s a jerk.”

            “That story sure involved a lot of making out for someone who doesn’t like him that way.”

            Immediately, my cheeks flush their favorite shade of scarlet. Maybe I should’ve left out that part of the story. In hindsight, it was probably a bad idea. It’s basically willingly handing over a wad of blackmail material to my older brother, who will waste no opportunity to put it to use. Unable to meet his gaze any longer, I cast my eyes firmly downward and choose to focus on cooling off my cheeks. “That,” I say, “was a mistake. I really don’t… I don’t even know what I was thinking.”

            “You like him,” he says adamantly. “Even if it’s just a little bit, you definitely like him. Why else would you go through all that trouble to make him jealous?”

            “He was dating Charlotte and he was being a jerk. It was just a bit of revenge,” I mumble.

            “But you also like him.”

            I’m about to protest once again, but for some reason I can’t find the words. My brain is suddenly whirring, desperately searching for evidence to prove to myself that Brandon’s wrong. Connor’s a massive jerk, and has been nothing but that ever since he moved back. So why didn’t I push him away when he came onto me at the dance? Why had I been so fixated on evoking a jealous reaction from him when he started dating Charlotte? If I really feel nothing for him, why has shutting him out been so hard?

            Oh my God. Is Brandon right?

            Do I like Connor?

            “Look, I know I haven’t been around,” he starts, his voice suddenly tinged with seriousness, “but from what I’ve seen and heard, you two belong together. Even when we were kids, you know, when you were the best of friends. I always figured you and Connor would find a way.”

             “But everything’s changed,” I say, sighing. “If Connor did like me – which I’m pretty sure he doesn’t – why has been acting like this?”

            “You ever thought to ask him?”

            “I…” My mouth shuts quickly. “Well, it’s not really been that easy…”