Chapter twenty-five

Joules' POV

_________________________________________

I jumped out of bed and saw that Lucius was right beside me. His look of fear matched mine. We sprinted down the stairs, and what we found was horrendous.

It was my father. He was laying on the floor with a pool of blood surrounding him. The gunshot hit him in the stomach.

"Father!" I yelled, running to him. Maybe he hadn't been there for me for the last three years, but he was still good to me. He was still my father.

"Go..Julia.....before it's......too late. I love you...." My father's eyes went dull and unfocused.

"He's...He's dead." I said, at a loss for words.

"C'mon, let's go. The attacker isn't here," Lucius said, but I barely heard his words.

My father. Dead. I just couldn't believe it.

Lucius scooped me up in his arms and carried me away, back to the lot. I turned in his arms and cried into his chest.

Lucius' POV

_________________________________________

Joules had barely spoken a word since her father was shot. She trembled an sobbed into my chest. Eventually, I put her down so we could jump into the lot. She curled up in the lot and went back to sleep.

I felt terrible for her. Why couldn't it have been my parents? At least she'd still have her father.

I scooped her into my arms. She awoke, and looked at me. She was shaking. No doubt dreaming about her father's death.

"I love you, Joules." I told her. I wouldn't lie and tell her it was ok. It wasn't ok. Both of us knew that.

"I love you, too, Lucius." She replied, and snuggled into my jacket.

I knew she was still shaken, but I heard her stomach growl. She blushed faintly. I was hungry, too. I found seven edible berries that we split. She repeatedly tried to give me the extra one.

Finally, both of us fell asleep. We knew the next day would be full of surprises.

Zoran's POV

_________________________________________

Darn! Too late. Lucius' parents killed Kalub Faemon. My job was to bring him back alive. Now I'm never getting out of jail!!!

But whatever. I sat in my jail cell and watched as the mush-plate man wheeled by. I still want revenge.

And this time, I WILL succeed.