Part 2

Continuing the Black tradition, I wound up in Slytherin house during my days at Hogwarts. Lucius Malfoy became one of my few friends. He had long blond hair and a pale face that dared to say, I'm better than you and I know it. Of course, he reserved that look for the students outside of Slytherin. You had to be at least a half-blood to be sorted into our house, just like you would today. 

After our first Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson, we walked out of the classroom together.

I asked him, "What did you think of Professor Deryn?" 

"I think she taught us a load of rubbish," Lucius drawled. "As if we have to learn to protect ourselves from dark magic. My parents promised to actually teach me some dark magic, and it sounds far more exciting."

"My parents know a little bit of dark magic, too," I admitted tentatively. "I guess it would be fun just to ask them about it." I stood in thought for a moment, and a light-bulb went off in my head. What kind of forbidden things could I learn?  Oooh... not to mention the power...unlimited. It suddenly became so tempting. 

Crowds were gathering in our hallway, and a Hufflepuff boy brushed past Lucius, knocking books out of his hands. Lucius hurried to pick them up off the floor. His cheeks were bright red. 

"Oh, I'm so sorry, Malfoy!" the boy exclaimed.  I recognized him from Charms class: Alan Carter. A Muggle-born.

Lucius answered venomously. "You watch where you're going, Mudblood." 

My eyes widened. He didn't just say that word. I wanted to say something, because I still couldn't understand what made Muggle-borns unworthy. But to make Lucius happy, I warned Carter in a villainous tone. "You should consider yourself lucky that we're not allowed to use magic in the halls, or he'd challenge you to a duel." Besides, we were too young to know many spells. I tried my best menacing look, and Carter ran away.