Chapter 45 - "If I hurt myself, you'll hurt too."

Začít od začátku

To my right stood his bookshelf, but instead of keeping books there, he had placed all of his trophies and medallions from football games. In the middle stood a group photo of the team from our last year in school. Niall sat crouched down in the middle on the front row, Jake and Tyler sat next to him. They wore those shirts with so much pride and Niall smiled widely, showing off his captain armband.

In the corner of my eye I saw Niall approaching the room.

"If you were trying to scare me, you failed." I told him without looking away from the photo.

"I wasn't trying to. What are you doing?"

"Reliving old memories."

He stood beside me, looking at the trophies as well. I looked at him, seeing him smiling.

"Do you miss it?" I asked.

"Yeah." He admitted. "It always gave me such an adrenaline kick being on the field."

"I bet you miss all the cheerleaders, too." I said, nudging him playfully with my elbow.

He grinned down at me.

"I still wanna see you in a cheerleading costume at least once before I die."

"Keep dreaming." I laughed and walked over to his dresser.

I pulled out the top drawer and heard him sitting down on the bed behind me.

"You have so much crap in here." I said, looking over my shoulder.

"I know. Tons of school stuff ended up in there."

I found an old scribbling block and flipped through the pages.

"School stuff?" He guessed.

"No, I think it's more song lyrics."

"Lemme see."

I walked over to him and he pulled me down in his lap so we both could see. Some were from 2013 and some were older than that. A certain song title caught my eye.

"November 9." I read out loud. "A very specific date."

He took a closer look and skimmed through the text. Then he smiled.

"I wrote this after we broke up, but I named it after the first time you spend the night here. I think I still remember the chords."

He smoothly picked me up, removed me from his lap and set me down on the bed again. His oldest guitars stood in the corner and he strummed on it, only to find out he needed to tune it before playing on it. It only took him a minute to do it and then he sat down on the edge of the bed next to me.

"Can you hold the lyrics up for me, please?"

I obeyed and he began playing, before he started to sing.

"You got scars, so do I. If I could, I'd take 'em all and make 'em mine. But for now, I'll play the part and let you in just far enough for this to start, for this to start.

I remember everything. When the fire of your heart began to sting. I couldn't tell you all of my sins, much too scared of what the truth might bring.

I've been lying from the start, you know it's tearing me apart. But would you really want the whole truth? When I finally tell it all, will it be your wrecking ball? Or the bitter taste you tried to hide as smooth?

I know I took it all away. So let me give it all back to you, you, oh, you, you. Give it all, give it all back to you.

You reaped for truth, I tell no lies. Every page outlined for you ends with goodbyes. I'm losing sleep, 'cause I write all night. Always end up with the words November 9. Oh.