Great, just what I needed. 

I fall back against my locker. I really didn't need Mike Newton pinning over me for the remainder of highschool. There was a year and a half left and I didn't not want the wrath of Jessica Stanley to fall on me when she realizes the boy she told me she was in love with on my first day of school had just asked me out.  

"What should I do?" I ask, not expecting him to answer. 

Edward shrugged. "You could always publically humiliated him. Reject him in the cafeteria in front of the entire school and his friends. It will surely make my day." 

"Okay, I am defintely not doing that." 

"Then I'm afraid I will be of no help." 

He continued looking at his book because I knew for a fact there was no way he was able to focus on the book with our ongoing conversation. I knew I needed to go. Too much had passed since the warning bell rung, which meant the last bell was about to ring and I was going to be late to Trig. Edward on the other hand did not look in a hurry to get anywhere. 

"Why are you at here sitting in the middle of the hallway?" I asked. 

"I have a free period," he answered. "And there's a class being taught in the music room so it doesn't leave me much choice."

"There's always the library." 

"Too crowded."

"Cafeteria?"

"Closed." 

"Well." I pushed off the lockers. I really needed to get to class. "Enjoy the hallway."

Edward didn't say anything in response. I made it to Trig just seconds before the last bell rung and the day went on like any other. Classes with Alice, lunch with their friend group while stealing glances at Edward's table and finally making it home for chores, making dinner and lastly, homework. I began a routine and I was starting to like said routine. It helped keep me busy, it helped keep my mind off how much my life had changed overnight. 

Living with Charlie was easy. He didn't hover. All he cared for was a clean house and a warm meal he could come home to, and I was more than happy to provide that. 

"So, Bella, I heard Mike's attempt to ask you out did not go as planned," Jacob said with a smirk the next day as we waited in the parking lot for the rest of our friend group. It was hard to believe he was the same little scawny kid I used to make mudpies with. He was now taller than me, his hair was cropped close to the head, a big contrast to the long hair he used to sport and he was big. Almost as muscular as Emmett and I'm pretty sure he was proud of that. 

I rolled my eyes. "How did you know about that?" 

"Mike told me. Did you really tell him to ask Jessica out instead?" 

"No. I told him she liked him, if that's what he understood from that, that is his problem, not mine." 

Jacob shrugged. "It's open to interpertation."

Just then, Edward's silver volvo rolled into the parking lot. It was still early and yet he still picked the spot furthest from the main entrance. Jacob and I watched silently as he took his bag out of his trunk and strolled into the building. He never arrived with Alice and Emmett. It was hard to believe they were siblings with how indifferent they are to each other. 

"What's his story?" I asked Jacob. 

"Who?" 

"Edward Cullen."

Jacob snorted, rolling his eyes. "You mean Emoward." 

"Jake," I chastised.

He ignored me. He leaned against my truck, a gift Charlie had purchased from Billy for me, and shrugged. 

"From what Alice and Emmett told us, their parents adopted him when he was ten. I think he was living with his dad up until then, but then he went ahead and died in a drunk driving accident. They don't know anything about his birth mom." 

"Have they ever said anything as to why they barely talk to him?" 

Jacob shrugged again. "He has issues. Anger issues, I believe and he's given Dr. Cullen and his wife a hard time. That's all I know." 

The little information he had didn't help aliviate my growing curioisty. I wanted more. I needed more. Something kept nagging at me to go to Edward, sit down and have a chat. He must be lonely, right? His father dying could not have been easy and whatever is going on with his family, their ignorance, perhaps all he needs is a friend. 

I couldn't understand this need to get close to him, to be that friend that he may need. I just know that watching him during that dinner with Charlie, watching as everyone spoke over him, not even bothering to ask him if he was enjoying his meal... it angered me. And to see Alice and Emmett continue to ignore his existence... 

Fuck it. 

Today. I'll approach him today. 

Vote!

Comment!

~Joan0324