Chapter 27: Gambles

Start from the beginning

He furrows his eye brows, "um. Not what you were expecting?" he chuckles nervously.

"Not what I was expecting at all," she states.

He seems a little taken back by this. He recoils in himself a little. He clearly takes this offensively.

"All right, well... let's just both write it down."

Then it clicks. He's just lying. He's just doing it to get out of the activity. It would go along with his indifferent attitude from before!

"I'm guessing you don't actually like learning."

"What?" he gives her a look of disbelief, "I do. Why – can we just move on?"

She presses her lips in a straight line. "Fine."

They both write down.

1) enjoys learning

Spencer waits for Toby to say something, but he doesn't. She sighs impatiently. "Well, what do you like to do?"

He shrugs. "I don't know."

She looks away, rolling her eyes. "Name something," she demands.

"I like The Smiths."

She keeps staring at him, her eyes becoming hard. He continues, understanding what her stare means. "I like music?" he sounds a little agitated. "Generic enough?"

"Perfect."

They scrawl the words down. They continue naming off things they like until they have a list of common interests. It's mostly generic stuff. But she guarantees that if she said, "I don't like you," they'd have that too. Both of them had made it clear that they were not going to be friends.

Day 34

She isn't sure what she's doing, or why she is choosing now to pity herself.

With Caleb's help (and Hanna's), she was able to throw a Surprise Congratulations/Going Away Party for Toby. She felt as if he deserved it, and so did Caleb. Hanna and Caleb had provided the location – their basement, accompanied with an open bar (thank God.) Everyone – Aria, Hanna, Emily, Caleb, Holden, Ezra and herself –pitched in on the drinks, and food, and whatever else.

As she prepared for the goodbye party, she had grown quite sad over the whole thing. There's only so much time she has left with Toby.

But even in those times of despair, she hadn't acted like this.

She is a wreck. An absolute disaster. She has lost count on the number of shots she has taken.

It's a party. You are allowed to be drunk, right?

She figures that's true. But she's been sitting in the corner, glowering and glaring at everything and everyone in sight.

They only have a week and a half left together. And yet, their relationship is still in question. They have still yet to decide.

Spencer feels like she knows what she wants, but she is unsure about Toby. He loves her. He said so. But does love really change anything?

"Whatcha doing?" Hanna asks in a patronizing tone as she sits down next to the drunk on the floor. Spencer has stolen an entire bottle of vodka from the bar. She's been sipping on it for the last hour, and has gotten pretty well into it.

Spencer shakes her head, "nothing."

"Really? Because it looks like you're getting drunk off your ass..." she states, narrowing her eyes on the bottle.