Five

THE CO-WRITER IS KJMONKEY

Liam quickly takes a step back, holding his hands up in surrender. He looks quite nervous to be honest, and Katelyn has no idea why.

"Yeah..um, it's me. I'm sorry for following you.. I just..." He stops halfway through his sentence, turning to look down at his brown boots, that are being almost invincible in the dark shadows of the night. Niall raises an eyebrow at the brunette, quickly running a hand through his own blonde hair.

"..You just..?" He questions, his vibrant blue eyes looking directly at Liam's. Katelyn stands to the side, not knowing what to say or do. She seems to have that a lot these last few minutes. The tension between Niall and Liam is thick, and Katelyn has no idea on how to make this conversation a little lighter. It doesn't matter what she'll say, because she would probably make it even more awkward.

"I just.. wanted to know where you went every day.. I wanted to make sure you were safe." Scratching the back of his head, a blush creeps up Niall's face, but he hides it quickly by answering. "Why? You don't even know me."

Katelyn slowly takes a step back, ending up standing next to Laura, who's peacefully laying in the soft but cold grass. She tries not to make a sound, not wanting to interrupt such an interesting conversation.

Smirking slightly, Liam tilts his head to the side, looking at Niall like he said something really stupid. "You're the prince, Horan. Everybody knows you."

He did not just say that, right?

Katelyn knows how annoyed Niall can get when being called 'the prince'. He hates it. So so much.

"Just because I'm 'the prince', doesn't mean you should follow me around and think you know me, because you most definately do not know me!" Niall spats harshly, kicking at the non-lit campfire and letting the heap of branches fall apart.

Feeling like this conversation will not end into something good, Katelyn swiftly takes a step forward again, ending up in between the two bickering children. "Guys, guys! Do not fight, okay? You can work this all out later. For now, let's make a fire, to make sure nobody freezes to death."

Looking in between Niall and Liam, Katelyn waits for their answer. They need to grow up a little and act like the adults they are supposed to be, sheesh. It takes a while, as the two are still glaring at each other, but then Niall grumpily speaks up.

"Yeah, you're right.. Let's make a campfire."

Liam just grumbles a little, but also nods, looking towards Katelyn and staring her in the eye for a second. Katelyn smiles, and a small smile forms on Liam's face too, even though it looks a little forced.

Katelyn steps over to the fallen apart campfire, and sighs. Now she has to build that up entirely all over again. She looks around the dense forest ground, using only the small amount of moonlight shining through the trees as guidance to find the materials that she and Niall had used to make a campfire.

Getting down on her bare knees, Katelyn shivers, and quickly tucks her dress between her legs and the damp grass, trying to keep warm. Then she starts gathering up small bundles of dry tinder to use as the source of the fire.

The wood is a bit darker and with a higher grit in these parts, the forest having become much different than Katelyn is used to. She hopes that it will still work as well as the lighter wood she and Laura used to use for fires back home.

Katelyn looks up for a second, at the large tree Niall and Liam are standing near to, and notices nobody is talking. The tension is thick though, almost just as thick as before. As much as she would love for them to hash it out, it is too late and dangerous to be making such loud noises. You have no idea what beasts might be living within these foreign trees.

As she collects all the tinder and logs, Katelyn lays them all down in front of her, and starts to shape them accordingly.

"Hey, umm Liam? Can you come here for a second?" Katelyn asks him in a quiet tone. Liam nods his head, making his floppy brown hair fall into his eyes a bit, Niall eyeing him down as he takes the few strides over to the place where Katelyn was sitting on the cold forest floor.

"Here, can you hold this while I use the lighter and light underneath? Once the fire starts be sure to move your hands away quickly." She tells him while guiding his rough dry hands to the top of a tipi of twigs she had created. Liam does as told, with Niall still watching like a hawk, his crystal blue eyes shining, even in this darkness. The expression on his face has changed in the meantime though, into one Katelyn can't quite decipher, and that makes her a bit curious.

Looking back at the task at hand she scroutches below the tower of twigs, and uses the lighter to start the fire. After a few failed attempts she finally catches a small part of the tinder enough to have a fire start.

Liam isn't looking at the fire though, having instead been lost in his own thoughts. Katelyn looks down in shock as she sees Liam's hand getting ingulfed in the flickering and hot orange flames.

She is about to push him out of them, but Niall is the one to first grab Liam's hands right out of the licking fire, jostling Liam out of his probably very deep thoughts. How does someone not realize that they are on fire?!

Katelyn looks up at Liam's face to see his dark brown eyes flicker down to his now blistering hands in shock.

"Liam, what were you thinking?!" Niall shouts at the young man angrily, worry lacing his words.

"Niall! You have to be quiet!" Katelyn says in a harsh hushed tone. They are both quiet after that, Niall's hands holding Liam's, trying to inspect everything. There are small white blisters growing from the head with his skin festered in red burns.

While Niall moves his fingers over Liam's skin, the taller guy just looks down at the blonde's concentrated face, sometimes hissing when Niall touches something sensitive. Sighing, Katelyn opens her small satchel and walks over to where Liam is standing next to Niall, wide eyed and still in shock. She opens her catalog of all the plants that Laura and her had ever studded, and looks around until she finds what she was looking for, Lavender and Elder flowers.

 These plants are known to hold oils that, when extracted, can be used to help calm down even severe burns. All Katelyn would have to do is to find some of these flowers and place the petals over Liam's hands in gauze for a full 24 hours. After that he should be fine.

The only problem is that right now, it's too dark to find them...

❤(>o3o)> <(*&*<)❤