One

THE CO-WRITER IS KJMONKEY

Once upon a time, there were two girls, who loved to play hide-and-seek in the woods.

They loved how the birds chirped louder with every step deeper into the forest. They loved how the trees smelled when the rain had just came spashing down onto the old wood. They loved how bright and colourful the flowers were, and the way they always made a smile appear on both of their faces.

Everybody always told the girls that they shouldn't go into the forest, because it was dangerous there. Once you get lost, you'll never find the way back.

The elder people made up scary stories, telling about dark and dangerous powers, hidden in between the trees. All the kids in school were scared of the forest, and would rather play in the playgrounds, or at home with dolls.

Not that the girls really cared.

Making up lies, the two children always found a way to leave their homes, and go play in the forest. Their families even got used to them suddenly dissapearing, and didn't question the kids at all.

And that's how, almost ten years later, both of the girls still spent their days in the forest together.

Being a lot older, they started to make up other things to do in the forest than just playing hide-and-seek. The girls taught themselves how to find all different kinds of herbs, and how to use them to make tea. They observed animals, writing information down in little notebooks. They even started trying out several berries, wanting to know which ones were poisonous and which ones were not.

But most of all, they picked flowers.

The forest had beautiful flowers, hidden in the shadows of the trees. All kinds of colours were mixed through each other, making it the perfect place for the girls to make bouquets and flower crowns.

They made new flower crowns every week, wearing them to school, and not even daring to take them off. When the flowers got old, the girls hid them in a large book, in between the pages. They wanted to keep them forever.

The deeper the two girls went into the woods, the more colourful and pretty the flowers got, and the rather they wanted to keep them safely hidden in their books.

But the deeper the girls went into the woods, the more they got hypnotized and deceived by the hidden beauty of the dark forest.

And that's exactly, where this story begins.

🌸🌸🌸

"Pst.. Laura, look!" Katelyn says, squatting down, and pointing at a dark brown leaf. It looks old and dead, the edges are slightly blistered and there are holes in the middle, signalling that small bugs and other insects have eaten from it a while ago.

The leaf is attached to a brown bush, one of the kind that are growing here a lot. It makes the forest look darker and more dangerous, but both of the girls know that is only a deceptive appearance.

The forest is actually gorgeous and colourful, it just depends on where you look.

Laura slowly squats down next to her friend, trying to figure out what she is pointing at. Her blue eyes curiously end up on the ugly brown leaf, and find something small on it.

A tiny golden beetle is sitting on the leaf, calmly eating from the nice plant. It's golden colour gets reflected by the small rays of sunlight finding their way through the trees, making the insect gleam.

It looks like a little bead, being completely round and golden.

"We've never seen you before, have we?" Laura asks the beetle, slowly shuffling closer to it and inspecting it.
Katelyn stops her by grabbing her arm, making the brunette turn back to look at her. "Don't get to close to it, maybe it has wings. We don't want it to fly away, now do we?"