Ameliorate

Derek looked at the photograph over and over again, taking in every detail

How his hand was wrapped around her protectively, the way she put her hand on his chest smiling for the camera. How dare she move on from him just like that?

Yes, he was married but that didn't matter to him. She was his and that's final. Three weeks, three whole weeks since that night and he was starting to go crazy just thinking about her.

He missed her so bad. Her smile, her laugh, the way she always paid attention to him and hung onto his every word, her scent, her soft curly bouncy hair, just everything.

Josh Hart attends ESPY after party with new boo, Kendra Thompson.

He read the headline repeatedly; the bold letters glaring at him, adding to the insult he felt. He couldn't believe what his eyes were seeing when he came across it online. He's not a fan of the tabloids, but being in the media industry requires that one be up to date with the current happenings in the world of Hollywood.

He felt his jaw clench at the thought of her with another man, doing things to her body only he should have the privilege of doing.

"Aye, Derek. What the fuck is wrong with you?" Marcus asked barging in his with an angry look on his face.

"What do you mean?" He calmly asked leaning back in his chair. He wasn't even bothered at his outburst since he's the only one who has the privilege to speak to him that way. Marcus is all about the business first, friendship second which is exactly what Derek needs in a CFO.

"What's this about you firing Hakeem?"

"Because he wasn't doing his job right."

"The fuck you mean he wasn't doi...look, I don't know what's going on at home, but whatever it is, you need to fix it."

Marcus knew Derek almost like the back of his hand. They'd built a bond of brotherhood over the years so he knew something was wrong with him. Derek was usually the one against firing their staff especially since he lived by the policy of people of colour should uplift each other. His company had 89% black employees and the rest was a mix of other races.

"Nothing's wrong, Marc."

"Nah, save that bullshit for someone else. You don't just fire our head of finance because nothing's wrong. Just buy some flowers, a box of chocolates, go home, take Giselle out to a nice dinner and apologise."

Derek kissed his teeth. "What makes you think it's my fault?"

"Marriage 101: It's always your fault. Now take your ass home before you get us sued for unfair dismissal."

"I'm a grown ass man, you can't tell me what to do."

"I can and I will when you're throwing childish tantrums at employees."