Chapter 15: Friends With Benefits

Start from the beginning

"It's like listening to your parents talking about intercourse."

"Well, with thoughts like that—," she begins, but stops when he removes the pillow, and glares at her some more.

Her smile breaks into laughter, and she begins to draw shapes on his open chest. She doesn't know why she is doing it...but it feels nice. She just...likes feeling the warmth of his skin against her fingers.

A sigh vibrates in her ear after a moment, and she looks over at him—an amused look still decorating her features. "You're never going to let this go, are you?" he frowns.

She smiles, shaking her head, "probably not."

He sighs a little, and she laughs, placing a chaste kiss to his lips. And stays close to him when saying, "stop being such a baby. I'm going to order a pizza, you can stay if you want."

...

He ends up staying, and they watch a movie—Five Year Engagement—and laugh at all the things Jason Segel, and Emily Blunt has to say. They are about half way through the movie, when there is a banging at the door.

Spencer shoots a hesitant glance at Toby. They aren't doing anything wrong. They are both clothed, and void of anything to suggest sex (it's not like they had any sex, anyway.) But she feels weird about it. Like whoever is behind the door will know.

Toby stares expectantly at her, waiting for her to do something.

"Were you expecting someone?"

She rolls her eyes and steps up off the coach, and opens the door. It is probably just her neighbor. He's always asking to borrow stuff (borrow as in taking it forever, and never giving it back, that is.)

But it is not her lousy neighbor. It is Caleb. And he doesn't even give her a chance to deny him. He is pushing past her and into her apartment. Great!

"Spencer, why haven't you been answering your phone! Why has no one been answering their phone!" her exclaims in frustration.

Spencer just waits for him to see Toby.

"I'm meeting—" and then he sees Toby, presumably, because his whole entire speech comes to a halt, and his face wraps into this look of bewilderment and utter shock. He cannot even form words, his mouth is just meshing up shapes, and twitching into different variations of lines.

He looks from Spencer to Toby, and again, and again and again.

"Oh my God," Spencer exasperates, tumbling down on a recliner chair.

"I don't understand," Caleb mumbles. "Why—what are you doing here? And why haven't you been answering your phone—either of you?" he growls, shifting his maple eyes between the two.

"It must be on silent," Toby mumbles, pulling out his phone from his pocket. "Yeah, it is," he declares, smacking his lips together in a sheepish manner. He shyly looks up at Caleb, "sorry."

"What about you?" he motions over to Spencer.

"It's charging," she explains with tense words, annoyed. "What's so urgent that you came knocking down my door?" she questions. Maybe it will distract him from the whole Toby situation.

He sighs, "Hanna's father." He plops down on the couch next to Toby and begins to explain how he is meeting her father tomorrow. They have been dating almost five years and he still has not met him. Apparently her father is hard to please, and an asshole, as Hanna said it. But Caleb still wants him to like him. He wants all fathers to like him. (All parents, really.) Once, in High School, Caleb had stayed over for dinner, and told her parents all about his technology skills—then he fixed their computer. It made Spencer roll her eyes, but she gets it. Caleb wants parents to like him because he never had parents of his own to like him. That really screws a person up.